Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Links SQL Search and Site Search

Quote Reply
Links SQL Search and Site Search
Greetings!

This is a bit tricky ... but I've been trying to work out a way through 'one' searchbox that I can search my Links DB as well as the rest of my site (as I have a lot of content that is not included in the Links DB).

Does anyone know of a way I can do this?

Thanks,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Clint] Links SQL Search and Site Search In reply to
You would probably be best to get a custom plugin written, which would go through your whole site, and spider the content etc. You would then need to get a new search.cgi script written, which will enable people to search either/or your directory/site.

I wish it was more simple than that :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Links SQL Search and Site Search In reply to
Not simple.... because every time you rebuilt the search, the rest of the site would be lost. And, any changes to the rest of the site would not be automatically noticed. There has to be a custom (plugin) way of keeping the data in sync and updated.

Spidering your own site, is a good idea. A spider would have a way of picking off the important stuff from a page (or you could flag the important stuff, and key it for your spider).

Your search would then give users an option to search both databases, as andy indicated, or you could make that the default, but display will be an issue.

The reason is that the data in the rest of your site is "random" and not organized like the links database. It's display will not be as uniform. Different templates would be needed for that data.

If there is not a lot of external content, there are some "find" like scripts that do a real-time search looking for the keywords and return the list of URL's. Inelegant, but if there are not a lot of pages, it might work. You'd link it like a "Search rest of site" type option.

Some examples are here:

http://cgi-resources.com/...ching_Your_Web_Site/

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
http://www.interactivetools.com/

Search Engine : $49.00

VERY nice product, can search specific categories, etc.

They use Gossamer Forum by the way, and are also in Vancouver!
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] Links SQL Search and Site Search In reply to
Hello,

Your script gives the possibility of giving the results to the continuation ?

If research with Link SQL does not give an answer, your script answers.
Like script Overture_Links de Andy.

He would be the solution ideal to integrate in the results of research, the pages of PageBuilder.

Mick
Quote Reply
Re: [mick31] Links SQL Search and Site Search In reply to
Hi Mick,

I think that to do that you would need a plugin - to check whether there are any search results through LinksSQL and if not, go to the other search results. I'm guessing this is quite a simple plugin (which Andy obviously has experience of writing if his Overture plugin does this Tongue).

Laura.
Quote Reply
You can get both results together by building static with Links, then having it spider those pages. And you may be able to set output order by doing "categories" in the search program. It is much more powerful and flexible than any plugin you will see here.
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] Links SQL Search and Site Search In reply to
Hello,

The module of search for Link SQL gives the possibility of locating the link on its categories.
A link on the categories accompanies the result.

----------------------
Title link
Description of the link
Data statistics
Link on the categorie1 - categorie2...
------------------------

It is very good to increase the visits on the pages.

An integration with XML would be well.

But, the module of search for Link SQL is not very strong on research.
It does not give much possibility to work on the results possible.

You have an sample of use with Link SQL?

Mick

Last edited by:

mick31: Dec 17, 2003, 11:53 AM
Quote Reply
Try to look for xavatoria (or something like that or try to search for bignosebird+cgi at google, i think.
If you use only a static LSQL you will find a very fast cgi for searching all your site. (Maybe you have to pass some hidden vars to the pages, too.)

This script indexes your whole page and i find it very nice to search for a whole site with other pages than LSQL or more than one LSQL in use.
Quote Reply
Re: [Robert] Links SQL Search and Site Search In reply to
Thank you.

Fluid Dynamics Search Engine is very very good. I currently use it.

But, the author does not propose a solution for XML.
It is really very domage.

It is possible to propose to the user of LinK SQL a direct link on its research.

But, it would be better to propose the results with the search for Link SQL.

It would be one very very good complement with Link SQL.

It would be possible to propose to partners research on their site.

If somebody with an idea?

Excuse my bad English.

Mick
Quote Reply
The Fluid Dynamics search is at:

http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/

It is quite good for many things but does have limitations.
Quote Reply
Re: [Robert] Links SQL Search and Site Search In reply to
I have come across this as a 'possible' solution. Anaconda Director. It can be found here:-

http://www.anaconda.net/ap_director.shtml

I've been playing with it but can't seem to get it to work. It may have the ability to search gForum, LinksSQL and all other content by the use of different parameters.

If anyone has any experience with this I'd appreciate your ideas.

Regards,

Clint.
Quote Reply
I've used anaconda director - in what way is it not working?
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Links SQL Search and Site Search In reply to
Hi:

A problem with GForum. I've been able to get it to do a search, however where there is no find (and you are presented with the Search Form) when you fill the form in you get a file 404 error.

I think the easiest way around it is to play with the templates (which I'm doing now). I just need the search form to not show up when there is a no find on the search. Whilst it's not a perfect solution, it will at least allow people to search the entire site, Gforum, Links etc, from one search form (albeit with different radio buttons). Now .... if I could only have it all areas at once that would be perfect!

Regards