Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Links & PHP

Quote Reply
Links & PHP
Hello all,

is their a version of links in php code ?

Quote Reply
Re: Links & PHP In reply to
Not an official one...but some users like Michael Bray have modded earlier versions of Links SQL to work with PHP.

And Gossamer Threads focuses on PERL based applications, NOT PHP.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hello,

i have the problem if i want to insert some php code i need the extension .php or .php3 but links often use the direct cgi url. is their any future plans to change this .

Quote Reply
Hi,

If you are running a cgi script, you can't put php code in the output, as the output of cgi won't get parsed by PHP.

You can make Links SQL build .php pages though, and can include php there.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi,

While the code is written in Perl, it is just as easy to make a MOD in PHP as it is in Perl - but with PHP you can't take advantage of the new plugin system.

If you are not running Mod_Perl, then you will want to recode the dynamic parts of the site in PHP to make them faster. I know a lot of religious perl fans will disagree with me on that one, but PHP is faster then non Mod_Perl CGI code.

Discuss webhosting at
The Webhost Area Forums!
http://www.webhostarea.com/forums/
Quote Reply
hi,

how i can do this ? some cgis linked direct. thats dont work. ?!

Quote Reply
Michael,

Can't disagree that PHP is faster than non-mod_perl code, since it's run by mod_php which embeds the PHP interpreter into Apache, the same way mod_perl embeds the perl interpreter into Apache.

The advantage is that mod_perl gives you all the power -- and problems -- of perl from an ISP point of view, so it's easier for them to enable PHP across a site than mod_perl and/or even perl/cgi-bin access.

There are a great number of scripts that are mainly interface layers to a back-end database or dynamic data. PHP works great for that. When you need more complex system interaction, spawning, cron jobs, and all sorts of things that occur on a hardware-server rather than apache-server level, the power of PERL comes into play.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Yep,

That is why I still have a fair bit of Perl doing that junk you mentioned. PHP is fine for Cron Jobs BTW... With websites you can't really say PHP is better or Perl is better, a mixture is the best, as some of better feartures then others - and it changes for every site.

Discuss webhosting at
The Webhost Area Forums!
http://www.webhostarea.com/forums/
Quote Reply
You would need to keep some of the cgi's, or end up rewriting them in php. I'm not sure I really understand what you are asking though..

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.