Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Links 2.1.1 login/session problem

Quote Reply
Links 2.1.1 login/session problem
I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but my Links SQL installation is no longer holding the user login after the initial login success page. I'm guessing the session is being dropped, but I'm not sure why or what changed on the server to cause it. Has anyone else had this happen?

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: [Dan Kaplan] Links 2.1.1 login/session problem In reply to
Hi,

Wrong forum =) (I've moved it for you)

Regarding your problem - what do you have set in Setup > User Options > user_cookie_domain ? It should be something like .domain.com (the . at the beginning is important, as it tells the cookie to work at the www.domain.com, anything.domain.com and domain.com)

Thats the only thing I can think of. Hope it helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Links 2.1.1 login/session problem In reply to
Pre-sales? If you say so...

Anyway, I don't seem to have a "user_cookie_domain" setting. "user_sessions" is set to Cookies, but I don't see anything else similar in the various Setup screens or cgi files. Is there somewhere else it would be located?

Dan
Quote Reply
Unfortunately that cookie option was added in 2.2.1, so it isn't present in your version of Links. To check if this is in fact the problem, are you staying on the same domain throughout the login process?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Links 2.1.1 login/session problem In reply to
Gotcha. Yes, the domain stays the same throughout ... everything is set up for no www. That was the first thing I looked for before the initial post. Smile

The initial page after logging in shows a Logout link, then clicking on any subsequent page switches that back to Login.

I'm using the PHP front end, if that matters...

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote:
Pre-sales? If you say so...

Huh?

EDIT: Never mind - I must have moved it there by accident (was 6:30 this morning ;)) ... I see Adrian moved it to the right place for me though.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

Andy: May 12, 2010, 2:30 AM
Quote Reply
Ok, so now that we've established which forum this belongs in ... any thoughts on what might be causing the login glitch? Smile Or any tests I can run to see where the session is being lost?

The server is running PHP 5.2.12 and Perl 5.6.1, if that helps.

Dan
Quote Reply
Hi,

As Adrian said:

Quote:
Unfortunately that cookie option was added in 2.2.1, so it isn't present in your version of Links. To check if this is in fact the problem, are you staying on the same domain throughout the login process?

Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I already answered that question in the post immediately following his, dated May 12, 2010, 1:07 AM.

This whole thread has a weird sense of deja vu... Unimpressed

Dan
Quote Reply
Can you send over (email, pm, or just post here) and example URL, with login details so I can test this?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Sure thing.

http://run-down.com/

I set up an account you can try as sample/sample

Dan
Quote Reply
MMm, I see what you mean. How longs it been doing this?

Looking at the cookie "host", its coming up as:

Code:
run-down.com

..but should really be:

Code:
.run-down.com

I'm afraid I don't have a copy of the PHP version, so its a bit hard to test :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I'm not entirely sure when it started, as I never log into my own installation's interface... I remember getting a report(s) several months back, but I figured it was something with the end user's browser at the time. Reports starting coming in more frequently so I tried it out myself finally. I'm assuming it's the result of one of the PHP5 upgrades.

If I'm reading your line of thinking correctly, maybe I should try changing it to www.run-down.com in case there's something in the cookie host setting that is incorrectly stripping the 'www.'?

Dan
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yeah, couldn't hurt to change your settings to use the www. version - but not sure that will fix it.

AFAIK, GT don't support the PHP version and more - but if your still having problem, they have a PHP guy (maybe more =)) in the office, so he may be able to spot something we're missing. Unfortunatly, I don't really work with PHP any more (been about 10 years since I wrote a script in it, and about a 3 months or so since I did any script installations with it )

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
No luck with changing it to www.

I'll see if I can get in touch with someone at GT...

Dan
Quote Reply
After some file sleuthing, I found the source of the problem.

Authenticate.inc.php in /admin/links/PHP/ uses the deprecated $_HTTP_SESSION_VARS. Switching that to $_SESSION did the trick.

Dan