Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Link Expiration

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Link Expiration In reply to
I would need feedback about how would you need to use expiration types...

Which one would better qualify your needs?
1) ability to expire even each Link differently if you want, using any of 3 expiration types listed in 1) point of feature list (you find it a few post above).
Example: I) Link 82 expire after 31 day, II) link 93 expire at 2002-11-30, III) link 102 will be displayed in interval from 2002-11-15 to 2002-12-15. Each link can have different days to expire.

2) ability to set a Category to expire links using one of 3 expiration types (other categories can be also set to different expiration types), using any of 3 expiration types listed in 1) point of feature list (you find it a few post above).
Example: I) expire all links in Computers/Accessories after X days, II) expire all links in Computers/Printers at date defined for each link in following format: YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS, III) display all links in Computers/Printers within date interval from YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS to YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS. Each link can have different date intervals.

3) expire all links using one of 3 expiration types, you define in the plugin.

So the question is, to have link based expiration type, category based, or 1 expiration type per LSQL installation.

1) is the widest solution with most possibilities, 3) is a normal solution what the can satify expire needs of most services. 2) is between those.

Let me know your opinion!

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Link Expiration In reply to
I like having the per-link options the most (#1 above). This would provide the most flexibility.

BTW, any idea on the cost of your plugin, webmaster33 ?

Many thanks. Smile Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Thanks for your feedback. I'm waiting feedback of others, too, in that question.

As for the price, I promised myself, that I will not promote any estimated price about the plugin until is not fully finished. It was my mistake, that I promoted an estimated price for a plugin, for which the development was even not started. The price will depend on how much work do I need to put in, and I can not estimate it at the start of the work.
Now the development is started, and going well.

P.S. Waiting more feedbacks.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
I recently bought a plugin from GT that is an expirator. We paid just a bit extra to have them customize it so I can turn it on/off for individual links. It is working great! It will email the link owner and the admin based on criteria you set (like 1 week before link expires, upon expiration) it will purge expired links (if you wish). It is a bit pricier than I think you are talking about... but I thought I'd let you all know. It's a Classifieds plugin.

Take care,
Evoir

Last edited by:

Evoir: Sep 13, 2002, 12:03 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] Link Expiration In reply to
Evoir, thanks for your reply. I'm glad, that you are happy with that custom plugin. The only thing that matter, to be satisfied with your current solution. Nothing else does not matter.

I write the Advanced Link Expirator plugin, because I have a Personal Classified Ad service on my website, based on Links 2.0 (and a lot of my mods). I'm working to upgrade it for Links SQL, but first I write some plugins, to have same features as my current website.
Since I have Classified Ad service on my website, the Advanced Link Expirator plugin will know everything, what a basic Classified Ad system has to know (even more), and the later versions will likely know much more, if there will be need for more features.

Could you post your theoretical vote, about the expiration types question?
Thanks.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] Link Expiration In reply to
Hi, Evoir....how much was the GT plugin? I haven't seen it listed in the plugin download area. Having the multiple notices go out is really important, and I like the idea of being able to turn it on/off per link. The more admin features, the better.

Hi, webmaster33....any clue when your expirator might become available? I know you're working on a bunch of stuff.

Many thanks Smile

Quote Reply
I would say: email Jack. I think we got a package deal with the plugin, install and customizations. I think his email address is jack@gossamer-threads.com

It is pretty sweet plugin. Wink I don't know why they don't advertise it.
Quote Reply
I design all my plugins using these plugin development guidelines:
1) Must work without any problems using the latest clean Links SQL installation
2) my plugins should be able to cooperate with special features of my each other plugin
3) each of my plugins must work as stand-alone plugin, too

I already started the development of Advanced Link Expirator plugin, and currently working on that plugin only (And also doing my studies. Learning for the exams takes a lot of my time. Frown)
Based on your feedbacks, I started to design the ALE plugin. It is designed to even turn on/off expiration per link, or change to any other expiration type (there are 3 expiration types at the moment).

The price: I know the GT expirator price, and I know my plugin will be not as expensive.
I do not want to compete with GT. My expirator developments was started, when I didn't know that GT has an expirator plugin. Those users who want a lot features, and flexibility, will choose my plugin (sorry, I don't know features of GT expirator, just know, I want to implement all features, what can be needed by my users). Those who want an official expirator right from GT, those will choose GT expirator, even if it is expensiver than my plugin.

The release date: Can't estimate exactly at the moment. The core expirator code, should work within a few weeks.
Then I will have to add an admin interface to manage all options and features (I can tell you, there will be a lot of options, because I want to make almost all features optional). The admin interface is the most important thing for a typical user and I think it will be difficulter to develop it, than the core code, so it will take longer time. I do not want to tell you an exact release date, but I can promise, I will publish the latest news about development state in following thread (add it to your Watch list):
[PLUGIN] Advanced Link Expirator plugin (ALE) development news

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Thank you, Evoir and webmaster33 Smile

I'm eager to see ALE whenever you're ready, webmaster33 Smile

Cheerio! Cool

> >