Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Lets Revisit Some Mods

Quote Reply
Lets Revisit Some Mods
Hats off gentlemen and ladies......... The Next Gen Beta is fabulous. I dropped the new piece into my staging area..... pulled in the data (161674 Links in 29838 Categories like a hot knife through butter) and built my new pages with ease.

Now all I have left to ask is....... Where are all those kewl new features and plugins?

My main concerns are:
Searching by Fields or Category,
and Priority Listing Modification.

If anyone has figured these out please forward along the info.

Wil Hatfield

Quote Reply
Re: Lets Revisit Some Mods In reply to
Yawn..........

Was it something I said?

Quote Reply
Hi,

Sorry, with all the posts this one must of slipped through.

In Reply To:
Searching by Fields or Category,
This is already there! The search engine can search on any field in your database as in:

search.cgi?isNew=Yes

to get a list of all new links. You can also filter against a regular query:

search.cgi?query=cars&isNew=Yes

to find a list of results that match cars and are new.

You can also search within a category:

search.cgi?query=cars&catid=123

to find all links that match cars and are within category 123.

In Reply To:
Priority Listing Modification
Should be the same as before, add a field called Priority, and then change your sort order in the admin to sort by Priority first.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex:

I did some quick playing along these lines, and I cannot get this to work the way I want (The important part being the way I want, I guess!

As you know, I have the database of all the cartoons... I would like to have a detailed search page and allow visitors to the field to search. That is, search for only the films directed by so and so, or only cartoons with Fred and Barney...

I tried putting a series of text field in, with Name="the field name", and then just entering text in the specific field I wanted searched... no go. How should I approach this?

dave

Quote Reply
Hi,

Were you doing an exact match or a partial match? Do you have some example URL's I can try?

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex:

Thanks for taking a look!

I have thre beta running on a "secret!" site, inparrellel with the real site. So just about everything should be working- if you see a problem, please feel free to let me know!

Anyway, my messed with advanced search can be found at:

http://www.bcdb.com/bcdba/search.cgi?d=1

I have a feeling my problem is more in HTML that your design!

thanks again!

dave

Quote Reply
Alex:

Oh, some good search terms might be Chuck Jones for Director, Bugs Bunny for character (there are hundreds of either, and about 100 of both!)

dave

Quote Reply
Hi,

Hmm, yes there are definately some problems and not with your html. =) I'll be putting up the new beta today, when it's out, is it possible for you to backup your database and send it to me in an email? That way I can try it out here and see what's going on (the backup format has changed in beta2 and is not compatible with beta1).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex:

I would be happy to, but it will be LARGE!!!! If it might be better, I would be happy to e-mail you with the paths and passwords, so you can mess with it right on my site...

dave

Quote Reply
Sure, that would be great, then hopefully I'll have it fixed up for the this beta.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex:

Info set via private message...

let me know if I can do anything else!

d