Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
LSQL 4.0 ?
I like and prefer lsql instead of wordpress and other things.

There ares till things that are not perfect for 2015/2016.

There should be a responsive design as standard.

There should be a better way to bring people to help with changed data.
"Is this your page? Come and be the owner for it!"

There should be more functions for user-management.

There should be a solution for the link-problem, when a detailed page is in more categories.

There should be more than one detailed page without coding (i have this)

Tell me wonderful people of gt, do have so much work? Then you should have some money for a new programer bringing lsql back to 2016. Or do you have less work and no money, then please do it for youself and sell the script again.

Maybe nobody want to buy it anymore, because WP and others are free?
Then thing about a new model of making money. Give it free and make a way plugins could be sold easily.

Or maybe the community should bring money for the programing?

How ever it could be possible, i will dream further from a lsql 4.0
Quote Reply
Re: [Robert] LSQL 4.0 ? In reply to
I will dream with you Angelic

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
lsql 4.0 would be cool Cool
I can not believe that GT still uses the old versions of Glink and Gforum for their custom work.
Would be great, when they give back some new solutions to their user-base Angelic
Thanks

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
I share that dream, too.

There *is* definitely room for improvement: responsive themes, registration through Social Media, Font Awesome integration, etc. Come on GT, let us hear your thoughts... Wink

PS: I cannot believe I've been using Links and LSQL for over 15 years!

Last edited by:

Thomas.: Nov 26, 2015, 7:16 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Thomas.] LSQL 4.0 ? In reply to
Maybe here is the problem. You have paid it one time, and if not enough people buy it new there is no budget for improvement. Maybe we all should pay for a version 4 and write down our wishes. Somehow like on this crowdfounding pages.

But most of all: Stop thinking that lsql ist only a Link Management System.

My lsql is and was a blog long time before people has known wordpress.
My lsql is a adress katalog say for all restaurants in a country with a lot of information, pictures, voting and more.
My lsql is a product-database connected to vbulletin, where people dicuss this products.

If you think what lsql can do instead saving links and if you make some clever things connecting to other famous scripts you can do what ever your imagination can produce.
Quote Reply
Hi Robert,
it think if a 4.0 version comes out, everyone has to pay again. I remember there was something like this in the product conditions.

Here's the point I don't understand: When GT does a lot of custom work with GtLinks and GtForum they already had to improve their products. In these times, I don't think they can do websites without the features you requested above. The features must be already there.

There maybe two reasons, why they do not improve their software.
1. The software we use, is so old, that it will be nearly impossible to update it.
2. They don't care about their smaller customers anymore

Thanks

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] LSQL 4.0 ? In reply to
I love vbulletin 3.x, there i can do almost everything i like.
But now it is time to change to xenforo, a black box that i can use but not change.
So i pay now others to write me addons to use it with lsql.

Probably a new version of lsql could be in php, object-oriented and based on a framework with the same effect.

Anyway.

I have to change the server and made a clean install of lsql 3.3 tonight, today i changed the code with Beyond Compare and again there was this feeling to create something very special with my beloved tool like years before.

The next step is to make the things responsive and write some new admin-tools in php to work with the data inside lsql. :)
Quote Reply
Has anyone an idea what amount of money would be needed to make a complete new lsql written with all the new standards and possibilities we have today?

I have so many wonderful ideas connecting lsql (how i dream it) and other scripts we all use as owners or visitors.
Quote Reply
Hi,

It would cost a lot to get a new system built from the ground up :( Its a shame GT have lost interest in GLinks - it could still be so much more (I can't believe how long its been since the last major update). Shame, as it still has so much more potential. As you said, you can literally build ANYTHING out of it - even as a basic backend CMS system.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi Robert,

I started a similar discussion 1 1/2 years ago:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...on_of_Links_P315503/

I am still working with LinksSQL and probably will go on doing this for quite a while.
I like it for what it is capable of and for beeing written in Perl which in my experience has less changes that force you to rewrite parts of the code. But that is another construction area and my personal thought.

Quote:
My lsql is and was a blog long time before people has known wordpress.
My lsql is a adress katalog say for all restaurants in a country with a lot of information, pictures, voting and more.
My lsql is a product-database connected to vbulletin, where people dicuss this products.

Probably all of the above could be done with plugins without changing anything or the core. There could be something to hook into how search Indexes are buildt if you add new tables related to Links or Categories e.g. if you want to add addresses or something like that to separate tables. I had this with properties I wanted to add to products. (e.g. color=White, width=10cm, ...) At the Moment this is done with Solr which works fine.

Anyway I am happy anytime I see a chance LinksSQL will get some new Input. The idea of crowdfundig is good. that could be done for core improvements as well as for Plugins. What bothers me is that there was not much interest the last time. Maybe in December 2015 there is more activity, would be happy to see something happen.

Cheers

n||i||k||o

Last edited by:

el noe: Nov 30, 2015, 10:20 PM