Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Is there a way to integrate SMF with Links SQL?

Quote Reply
Is there a way to integrate SMF with Links SQL?
Hello,
I already have an established forum that I like using as do my members, so I dont want to switch to using Gossamer Threads, but I would like to use Links SQL version with my existing forum software, so.....

Does anyone have any ideas how to go about integrating the member base on my SMF 1.07 forum so that my existing members can use Links SQL on my site?

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: [kamidan] Is there a way to integrate SMF with Links SQL? In reply to
I guess I should take that as meaning a No, nobody has either been able to nor had the desire to use Links with the SMF forums.

Thanks anyway,
Quote Reply
Perhaps. However, I'll make a suggestion to get you started if you want to try doing it yourself.

In the GLinks admin panel, go to the plugins list and download the Auth_VBulletin or Auth_WWWThreads plugin (both are free). You can use these as a guide on how to get SMF to integrate with GLinks.

I'll try tackling it myself if I can find some free time this week.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] Is there a way to integrate SMF with Links SQL? In reply to
Thanks,
After looking at the plugins I see that they are way beyond my skill level to accomplish.

Oh and I completely forgot to say, that SMF is made by www.simplemachines.org which is a free message forum software and we are running version 1.1 RC2

Last edited by:

kamidan: Aug 11, 2006, 9:44 PM
Quote Reply
I don't think it's really as difficult as you think. The general logic is:

1) disable user registration in GLinks
2) override authentication routines so it emulates the login/logout procedures from a third party application. (I see that SMF uses PHP so a bit of rewriting certainly needs to be done in that respect.)
3) sync user tables

Steps 1 and 2 are easily done with the built in plugin hooks. Step 3 can be done with a cron job (all at once) or in the authentication routine (per user).

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] Is there a way to integrate SMF with Links SQL? In reply to
Okay, well I've had a look and as I thought, its definately beyond my skill level to do this. So if you or anyone else has the time or desire, I'd sure appreciate it.