Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Importing DMOZ question

Quote Reply
Importing DMOZ question
I have an existing database of approximately 8,000 links and would like to integrate a section of the DMOZ (I already have the section I'd like to import). My existing database contains additional fields of info per link and contains a different category/subcategory structure versus DMOZ.

My question is would it be better to start clean - clear everything out of the existing tables, import the DMOZ data, and then re-import/integrate my existing data from my most recent back up OR should I try to import DMOZ into my existing database? BTW, I'm looking at integrating a Regional section of DMOZ.

I would appreciate anyone's opinion that has been down this road before. Also, any specific steps I should follow? Any particular hurdles I need to overcome?

Thanks.

mgeyman
Quote Reply
Re: [mgeyman] Importing DMOZ question In reply to
Do you still have the default ID, Title, URL, Link Owner, Add Date columns etc?

Using --rdf-update you shouldn't have a problem.

As long as you backup everything first, if something goes wrong you are safe.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Importing DMOZ question In reply to
Yes, those fields are intact. I just added more fields over time.

So you are saying, I just attempt to import the DMOZ data over top of the existing database?

Thanks.

mgeyman
Quote Reply
If you do the import with --rdf-update it should begin importing after your existing records so it shouldn't overwrite anything.
Quote Reply
Hmmm. It says it imported successfully but when I go to Repair Tables I get the following Fatal Error message:

A fatal error has occured:</font></p><blockquote><pre>GT::SQL::Table (7461): Wrong argument passed to this subroutine. Usage: Must pass category id to parents at (eval 21) line 7.

What is this?

Thanks.

mgeyman
Quote Reply
Strange. Not sure.

Does everything look ok using mysqlman?
Quote Reply
Please excuse my ignorance but how could I use MySQLMan to compare to what I have been doing? Is there another set of commands in MySQLMan, as an alternative?

Thanks.

mgeyman
Quote Reply
Well I was just wondering if the tables looked ok.....Im not sure what the error means.

Do you see data in the columns for your latest import?
Quote Reply
Does your .def file match your table?? try 'resync' and see if that makes a difference.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Importing DMOZ question In reply to
Pugdog,

I tried that and still get this error message:

Checking category stats ...
Done (0.00 s)

Resetting hits and rates ...
Done (0.00 s)

Checking for orphan links ...
Done (0.00 s)

Updating New Flags ...

A fatal error has occured:
GT::SQL::Table (20036): Wrong argument passed to this subroutine. Usage: Must pass category id to parents at (eval 22) line 7.

Please enable debugging in setup for more details.

Stack Trace======================================Links (20036): Links::environment called at /home/ohiobiz/linkssql2/admin/Links.pm line 418 with no arguments.Links (20036): Links::fatal called at (eval 20) line 82 with arguments (GT::SQL::Table (20036): Wrong argument passed to this subroutine. Usage: Must pass category id to parents at (eval 22) line 7. ).Links (20036): GT::Base::error called at /home/ohiobiz/linkssql2/admin/Links/Category.pm line 334 with arguments (Links::Category=HASH(0x8409958), BADARGS, FATAL, Must pass category id to parents).Links (20036): Links::Category::parents called at (eval 18) line 40 with arguments (Links::Category=HASH(0x8409958), 0).Links (20036): Links::Build::build_new_flags called at /home/ohiobiz/linkssql2/admin/GT/Plugins.pm line 88 with arguments (HASH(0x84ff7d0)).Links (20036): GT::Plugins::dispatch called at /home/ohiobiz/linkssql2/admin/Links/Build.pm line 30 with arguments (GT::Plugins, /home/ohiobiz/linkssql2/admin/Plugins, build_new_flags, *Links::Build::build_new_flags, HASH(0x84ff7d0)).Links (20036): Links::Build::build called at /home/www/pages/ohiobiz/linkssql2/admin/nph-build.cgi line 654 with arguments (new_flags, HASH(0x84ff7d0)).Links (20036): main::_build_new_flags called at /home/www/pages/ohiobiz/linkssql2/admin/nph-build.cgi line 238 with arguments (HASH(0x84ff7d0)).Links (20036): main::build_repair called at /home/www/pages/ohiobiz/linkssql2/admin/nph-build.cgi line 42 with no arguments.Links (20036): main::main called at /home/www/pages/ohiobiz/linkssql2/admin/nph-build.cgi line 30 with no arguments.Thanks.mgeyman
Quote Reply
Any resolution found for this? I'm experiencing the same thing with a static page build, yet showing the pages via page.cgi works ok Unsure

I've done a 'Repair Tables' too Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!