Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Import Problems

Quote Reply
Import Problems
Can't import the Categories or backup. Have a clean install of latest links on Windows 2000 for dev purposes and original version 2.1.1 working ok in another directory. Have exported data(s) from Category & Links Editors and also backed up from the import/export Tool. So I have enough data to work with Wink

Am I missing something simple??

Thanks - John

Errors and efforts below
====================================

When I use the Category Editor Import (All All) , I get the following Failure from import data from file or paste in text area

Rows imported: 0
Errors with the following rows:

2: Failed validation. Error:
Invalid category name: Has_Changed_Links
3: Failed validation. Error:
Invalid category name: No

... etc ..

When I try and restore Links from backup I get the following

Verifying table headers ...
Checking database
Checking Users
Checking Links
Checking Changes
Checking Category
Checking CatLinks
Checking CatRelations
Checking Editors
Checking Verify
Checking EmailTemplates
Checking EmailMailings
Checking MailingIndex
Checking MailingList
Checking MailingListIndex
Checking ClickTrack
Checking Links_Files
A fatal error has occured:GT::SQL (4640): File 'f:/WebWork/Yachtcom/htdocs/cgi-bin/News/admin/defs/Links_Files.def' does not exist or the permissions are set incorrectly at f:/WebWork/Yachtcom/htdocs/cgi-bin/News/admin/GT/SQL/Base.pm line 62.
Please enable debugging in setup for more details.

When I try using the Import Data from previous versions
Import from 2.x
Location of def files: c:/webwork/yachtcom/virtual/cgi-bin/Links/cgi/admin/defs

I get

Import error: CRITICAL ERROR OCCURED: Unable to open c:/webwork/yachtcom/virtual/cgi-bin/Links/cgi/admin/defs/data/categories.db: No such file or directory at f:/WebWork/Yachtcom/htdocs/cgi-bin/News/admin/Links/Import/L2S2.pm line 84

Last edited by:

gatman: Nov 22, 2002, 3:10 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [gatman] Import Problems In reply to
Wrong forum Wink I've moved this to the Links SQL Discussions forum....

Re first error....does that .def file exist?

Re second error....are you sure that file exists? Perl wouldn't give an error if it was actually there Wink

The chances are, for both of these problems, that you have a path problem Crazy

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
It looks like you are mixing your Links SQL and Links2 paths. Or did you actually put categories.db inside the defs directory?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Import Problems In reply to
Sorry about posting wrong forum

1) Links_Files.def does NOT exist

2) There are NO .db files in the defs directory

The Category and Links properties between the two installs are identical.

I was under the impression that after a clean install, I just need to use the import feature and the category tables world be set.

==========================

See Spot... Spot Run Fast... Run Spot Run. Tongue
Quote Reply
I have found that moving your installation is easiest done the following way (because the backup tool does not create fields and tables that you may have added):

1) make an sql dump of your current links database (using mysqlman for example)
2) install new version of links
3) copy the whole admin/defs directory to the new install, all files, except "database.def"
4) use the sql dump to create your database on the new server

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Import Problems In reply to
Many Thanks - Seemed to have gotten it.

1) Original - Did backup Database =>Import/Export =>Backup

2) Copied and pasted the def files from previous install (including database.def)

3) New - Did restore with Database =>Import/Export =>Restore

============================================

So why the data dump?? I never used it. I could not determine how to import it as a whole.

Regards

John
Quote Reply
After further review, I see that I have additional fields under Links in mySQLManager that are not referenced in Links Properties of LinksSQL

Address,City,State, Phone,etc.

This data has been used for every submission and has been fully functional in the site with no problems for several years.

Do I just now add these fields now in the Links column properties?? Or should I just modify the Links.def file?

Many thanks in advance.

John

Last edited by:

gatman: Nov 24, 2002, 5:38 AM
Quote Reply
Go to "Database->Links->Properties" and click on "Resync Database" . If you are running under mod_perl, you might have to restart your webserver, too.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
i'm having the same problem and it's driving me nut
did it work for you?
Quote Reply
Re: [theguy] Import Problems In reply to
i followed your instruction and i get categories to be backed but not links: this is the error i get:
WARNING: Unable to import `1|Al-thawra|http://www.thawra.com|thawra@syriatel.net|1999-02-08|1999-02-08|Arabic Daily newspaper from Syria|3224|No|No|No|Yes|5.25|4|200|2002-02-08 00:00:00|20021121191157|0|NULL|NULL' (line 6582 of /home/virtual/4arabs.com/var/www/html/zsql/links2.sql): called with 20 bind variables when 19 are needed
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Import Problems In reply to
In Reply To:
Go to "Database->Links->Properties" and click on "Resync Database" . If you are running under mod_perl, you might have to restart your webserver, too.

This worked! (Dunno what causes to go out of sync though)

but on my import attempt (again) I get same as theguy

Importing Links ... (starting at line 55 of c:/webwork/yachtcom/backups/BACKUP112402)
Starting import to table Links ...

A fatal error has occured:execute called with 28 bind variables when 19 are needed at f:/WebWork/Yachtcom/htdocs/cgi-bin/News/admin/Links/Import/BKS2.pm line 158, chunk 55.

Last edited by:

gatman: Nov 25, 2002, 3:03 PM
Quote Reply
anyone found a solution to this problem?

alex what do you think?
Quote Reply
I guess missing fields is at issue. Although I had another expectation of the scope of the restore process. I thought I could just restore / import clean from original into clean fresh Links copy. Now I see I have to make manual edits to columns / def files.

As an aside, I understand column names are NOT case sensitive and the original install was lower case and the new install was first letter upper case column names.
Quote Reply
I just do a MySQL Dump now, and then if I need to re-import the data, I do that normally, and then get LSQL to re-sync the database etc, and that seems to work fine Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Import Problems In reply to
In Reply To:
... if I need to re-import the data, I do that normally

When you say "normally", are you handling the dump file

That I haven't been able to figure out

Right now I manually imported each table column from mysqlmanager - seems ok except the Rebuild Table has been going on now for 10 minutes Crazy
Quote Reply
Its a pretty simple method.

1) Goto Database > MySQLMan > Launch
2) Goto SQL Dump
3) Select a path you want to backup to, and a filename.
4) Click 'Go', and it will backup the database to your server. You can then either download it locally, or leave it on your server, incase MySQL gets corrupt or something at a later time.

To re-import, its just as easy.

1) Get into MySQLMan again, and goto 'MySQL Monitor'...then enter the path to the file you want to import, and click 'Go'. That will then import the backup file into your database Smile

You can even setup 'mysqldump' to backup your database automatically daily (or however often) you want via cron....its pretty nice.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Import Problems In reply to
In Reply To:
1) Get into MySQLMan again, and goto 'MySQL Monitor'...then enter the path to the file you want to import, and click 'Go'. That will then import the backup file into your database

I don't think you mean "Run Queries". This is all I see under "SQL Monitor". Or do you?

Sorry for trouble, but I'm learning more Smile
Quote Reply
i have followed the instruction you mentioned but i keep getting the errors i mentioned above
how to import links table only.
i maged to restore categories but not links
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
1) Get into MySQLMan again, and goto 'MySQL Monitor'...then enter the path to the file you want to import, and click 'Go'. That will then import the backup file into your database

I don't think you mean "Run Queries". This is all I see under "SQL Monitor". Or do you?

Sorry for trouble, but I'm learning more Smile

Yeah, run the query...I was just going by memory Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk