Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

How to setup paths after I moved from one server to another

Quote Reply
How to setup paths after I moved from one server to another
Hello,
I just moving my entire site from one hosting to another (links 3.3.0).
I moved the database and zipped all www directory and unzipped them on the new server.
I then ran this file to replace all paths in all LinksSQL in the cgi-bin directory:
==============
Code:
#! /bin/sh
find . -type f -name '*.*' -print | while read i
do
perl -pi -e 's|/home/www/mydomain|/home/mydomain/www|g' $i
done
==============
Now, what file should I configure to make Links SQL work? as I need to setup paths and username and password to the newly moved mysql database.
Does LinksSQL works with only the IP address (before changing the DNS of the domain to point to the new server)?

Thank you
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark2] How to setup paths after I moved from one server to another In reply to
Hi Mark,

Yes, it does. It will can work with IP if you configure the paths and urls correctly.

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog
Quote Reply
Re: [tandat] How to setup paths after I moved from one server to another In reply to
Thanks Dat...
I worked with you several times on several mods (add categories... RSS feeds.. All News... Wink
Still will need your help in the news module:

But for now, when I moved the site to the new server, I converted the MySQL database from 3.23 to MySQL 5.5.
I also changed my password on the new server using the cpanel... but every time I try to go to the admin directory to log in, I get an Internal server error as shown below.
Somehow, I did not touch the file permissions. I moved them the way they used to on the old server.
The only thing changed with the new server, is the version of the DB, username, and password to the admin and to the db...
so, why am I getting this error all the time..

Code:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@mydomain.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.29 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.29 OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4 Server
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark2] How to setup paths after I moved from one server to another In reply to
Hi Mark,

Good to see you again!

First please check that the file permissions is 755. Then the path to admin in each cgi file is updated to one on new server.

But if you did not modified its core files, just install the refresh copy, then just copy the templates and re-install the plugins. This will be much better then the above approach.

If that did not work, please PM the ftp, I can check for you

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog
Quote Reply
Re: [tandat] How to setup paths after I moved from one server to another In reply to
Thanks again Dat...good to hear from you as well
I've modified the perl paths of the scripts.
I think all paths and directory permissions are same as the ones on the old server, except the password to login and password and username to db... so I think things are not completely in synch.
I am not sure if I want to rewrite the script with new re-install of a new copy as I do not remember if I had changes to core or not.

I was using the IP address to access site.. but now, I just changed the DN's to point to the new server. I have to wait to propagate to see if this going to make some differences...
If things do not work.. then for sure I will get back to you...

Thanks again and regards..
Mark