Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

How does the search function work?

Quote Reply
How does the search function work?
Hello!

I'm wondering how the search function is exactly working. What I mean is how the score is determined by the function in order to display the links with higher score before links with less score. As I made serveral searches in my system and I'm not very satisfied with the results I'm getting. Maybe I overlooked something but I'm not able to find what.
So, how does the internal ranking-function work?

sincerley
jak4

Quote Reply
Re: How does the search function work? In reply to
The search results are based on index weights applied to columns in the LINKS table. There is an option to adjust the weight values in the administrative script. After your adjust the weight values, you will need to re-index your Links table.

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply
Thanks!

I think I understood the meaning of this "index weights". But the have to be multiplied or somewho combined with another value to generate a full "index weight". How does the indexing function determin the weight for a link before combining it with the "index weights" I entered?

sincerly
jak4

Quote Reply
full "index weight", huh? Actually, the "weight" determines how the index is run with the index script in LINKS SQL. You have it backwards.

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply
Hi,

Say you have your weights:

Title: 4
URL: 2
Description: 1

Then when a user searches for 'gossamer', a link will get 4 points for every match in the title, 2 points for every match in the URL, and 1 point for every match in the description.

It then returns the list of links with the one with the most points first.

Remember, you must re-index (Database->Reindex in the admin) if you change your weights for it to take affect.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Oh, one other thing, you may want to go to Setup->Search Options and set substring on by default (as it normally defaults to off meaning 'car' would not match 'cars').

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi!

Okay, I understand that now. Does it make a difference for the ranking if for example within the description: "car" and "carwashing" is matched where in another Description "car" as a whole world is found twice?
I know about the substring-option you mentioned in the posting before.

sincerly
jak4

Quote Reply
Hi!

Sorry but i don't understand what that should mean? Whould mind explaining it?

sincerly
jak4

Quote Reply
Hi,

No, exact vs substring only affects whether it matches, it doesn't currently affect the score (but I'll look if this easily changed as it would be a useful addition).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi!

Would be nice if you could do that!
Thanks
jak4