Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

How do I upgrade to 2.02?

Quote Reply
How do I upgrade to 2.02?
Where do I get the upgrade file?

Quote Reply
Re: How do I upgrade to 2.02? In reply to
From the members area.
How did you manage to download the version you have now if you don't know where the members area is?

Paul Wilson.
new - http://www.wiredon.net
Quote Reply
Thanks... I had it installed by GT before.

Quote Reply
Hi Paul,

Is there an easy way to upgrade from Links SQL 2.01? I don't want to reinstall and lose the changes/hacks I have done.

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Hi,

Im not exactly sure which files have been updated but I think it is quite a few. I expect you will have to reinstall your mods/hacks.

Which mods do you have installed?

Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
I haven't installed any mods... it's more hacks.

Well this sucks. I have this program installed last week, and without them telling me it would completely erase my previous customizations, they again refrain from letting me know about all the bugs in it and the fact they would have a newer version soon that would require a complete overwrite. This isn't exactly service.

Quote Reply
No, it doesn't require a complete overwrite.....you can probably spend some time picking out your hacks and then installing the new files and adding the hacks back in but at the end of the day this is not Gossamer-Threads fault. If you choose to hack the code then it is your responsibility to import those hacks into the newer version when you upgrade. No-one is forcing you to upgrade to the newest version.

Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
I'm not exactly blaming GT for anything other than poor dissemination of information. I would just appreciate notice of impending bux fixes, etc. when they are doing an installation just days before the new version is to be out. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to keep doing things over and over. I guess I have come to expect too much in terms of service. Perhaps when I get some time I will upgrade or ask GT for information on which files were altered. Thanks for the help.

Quote Reply
Hi,

While I understand your problems, upgrading should be very easy. Simply download the .tar.gz file, run install.cgi and enter in the path to your admin. It will pick up all your previous settings and upgrade your installation automatically. Just hit No for overwriting your config, and No for updating your templates, and Yes for updating your program files.

The only time you will run into problems is if you have edited the .cgi or .pm files manually. This is not something you should have to do. You can almost always achieve the same effect by adding functions into the templates instead, and you won't lose those changes when upgrading.

I can't promise this will be the last update, as if something major turns up, we will have to release a 2.0.3. We have tried to make the process as painless as possible.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks Alex, I will try this when I get some time.

Quote Reply
Hello Alex!

This was the reason why I had, months earlier, requested that if you insert in every cgi/pm scripts

use custom.pm

module everywhere and develop a system that everyone inserts only hacks and sub_routines, modified or new, then it should never overwrite this module. In this fast for ever growing environment that you have developed, people are bound to get tired updating especially novices or starters including myself.

Quote Reply
Hi,

Templates and plugins handle this much better and give you better control. Inside templates you can run functions that make any changes you need to do. These aren't touched when updating code.

In Reply To:
especially novices or starters including myself.
You a novice? Wink

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hello Alex!
--------------------------
You a novice?
--------------------------
Yes, an unborn one, :), :(, ;!!!

But it seems that what you say is that one can do everything, I mean, include all the sub_routines through plug-ins and templates? Reading your two dwarf sentences with big eyes I see some unclear but deep message more and more. I must confess that I have not visited often this forums.

That is ofcourse due to my unattentiveness to your awefully damn fast speed of development which is more than hopeless that the speed of your developing attitude will slow down a bit and shall never progress some day. I cannot cope with your speed and therefore a novice, ;)! Further, I see that you have proffessional immunity against complains of fast development or a lot of development!!! Looking at Links v2.0.2 at a glance, even I cannot complain!!! Was worth waiting indeed!!!

But then basically what you are saying is that :

All the plug-ins are by itself built-in :

use custom.pm!!!

Isn'nt it? So that they harmoniously work with templates. By use custom.pm one may not be able to retreive and use the calls comfortably everywhere as good as plug-ins! That means also that they are set of function calls organised differently in different scripts that can be embedded into the entire network of sub_routines of Links SQL. So, conceptually, they are outer core of the concept of Links SQL which works with the inner core of Links SQL!!! Hence the inner core could change independently keeping the outer core intact, which was also ofcourse the idea of "use custom.pm", however the plug-ins would be much better as they would work with templates flawless and ease, moreover there may emerge a parallel development traffic on the outer core.

Hmmm!!!

VOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!