Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

How do I build detailed in folders instead of /Detailed?

Quote Reply
How do I build detailed in folders instead of /Detailed?
I'd like my Detailed pages to be in their respective subdirectories rather than one monolithic Detailed folder. How do I do that?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: [cspenn] How do I build detailed in folders instead of /Detailed? In reply to
Hi,

In Setup > Build Options , look for "build_detail_format", and set to FullCategoryName/Title_LinkID.

That should do the trick Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] How do I build detailed in folders instead of /Detailed? In reply to
Thanks - that's what I have it set to but it still builds in the detailed URL. Example:

http://directory.edvisors.com/Detailed/Education_Issues/Learn_Spanish_in_Cuzco_Peru_-_South_America._Spanish_Language_Immersion_Courses_74941.html

Goal:

http://directory.edvisors.com/Education_Issues/Learn_Spanish_in_Cuzco_Peru_-_South_America._Spanish_Language_Immersion_Courses_74941.html
Quote Reply
Re: [cspenn] How do I build detailed in folders instead of /Detailed? In reply to
Try in Setup > Paths & URLs > then look for the "click here" link near the bottom of that page.

Just edit the build_detail_url and build_detail_path settings there (so they don't include /Detailed) .. should be as easy as that :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Many thanks - much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Andy wrote:
Try in Setup > Paths & URLs > then look for the "click here" link near the bottom of that page.

Just edit the build_detail_url and build_detail_path settings there (so they don't include /Detailed) .. should be as easy as that :)

Cheers

So just removing /Detailed from BOTH build_detail_url and build_detail_path, creates detailed pages of links in their own directories?

My both paths:
http://www.mysite.com/Detailed

/home/USERNAME/public_html/Detailed
Quote Reply
Re: [hegu] How do I build detailed in folders instead of /Detailed? In reply to
Hi,

You would just change them to:

http://www.mysite.com

/home/USERNAME/public_html

Simple as that ;)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks Andy.

But is there anyway I can 301 old detailed pages (that are in 'Detailed') to new detailed pages?
Quote Reply
Re: [hegu] How do I build detailed in folders instead of /Detailed? In reply to
Not easily - would either need:

1) A script written, which you would pass ALL results to /Detailed into this script. It would then extract the LinkID from the URL, and then work out the "new" URL to 301 redirect them to
2) You would have to add a lot of 301 redirects into your .htaccess file ;)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Im not a programmer, so I always look for workarounds.
In this case, I think I may provide an answer without getting into programming.

Wouldnt this work?
Make a copy of your detailed.html.
Make a clean detailed.html with 301 or 302 redirect headers and even a link to your new page. The link could be something like http://<%URL%>/<%Category%>/<%link_title%>
Im sure thats not the correct link, its the idea only, Andy will help you Im sure.
Build the index.
Once done that, make the config changes and replace your details.html with the correct one. Build with new changes.
Done.
You have all details/page.html built with your sites fancy graphics and even an apology (even adsense) or blank with auto refresh.
If your site is big, an .htaccess with a lot of entries will slow down your site.
You will have all htmls that dont slow down.
Just dont delete your /details directory and youre done.

Wouldnt it be that easy? Or am I wrong? :)

JC

Last edited by:

Gorospe: Oct 26, 2010, 11:17 AM