Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

How do I backup?

Quote Reply
How do I backup?
I couldn't find anything in the help files, FAQ, or recent forum threads. Not anything really basic anyway.

I tried going to database: Import/Export and there to use the Create backup file of all Links SQL data option. The problem is I don't know how the location should be formatted. I tried several ways - indicating folders on my account (with a back slash or without). The folders were chmoded to 777. I got the same error message everytime:CRITICAL ERROR OCCURED: Unable to open http://www.meowhoo.com/bk for writing: No such file or directory at /www/meowhoo/cgi-bin/links/admin/Links/Import/S2BK.pm line 90

Unsure

If you love cats - visit www.TheCatSite.com

Visit my LinkSQL based Cat Site - www.Meowhoo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Anat] How do I backup? In reply to
Hi Anat,

To back up your database:
  1. Go into your admin and click on Database then Import/Export
  2. Scroll down until you see Create backup file of all Links SQL data
  3. In this section you need to specify the path to where you want the back up file to go, for example: /httpdocs/mybackup01

This will then create a file called mybackup01 which you can re-install using vitually the same method except scrolling down to Restore Links SQL from backup file

Alternatively, you could links to make the backup for you, by going into SetUp->Build Options and selecting yes for:

Have Links SQL automatically create a backup of the data every time you build pages? build_use_backup

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Sep 6, 2002, 8:11 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] How do I backup? In reply to
I'm aware about backup possibilities in LSQL.

However would be fine a daily, zipped backup of db (I would need at least). What do you think?
lsql_2002-08-15.zip
lsql_2002-08-16.zip
etc...

I did it for myself in Links 2.0.
Would anybody need such feature in Links SQL as a plugin or as an optional feature in one of my developed plugin?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
That's what I was doing, but I all I get back is that error message Unsure

Is that path the full path - http://www.meowhoo.com/backup_directory or should it be something else?

I have the directory in place, I'm using small letters only (to avoid case sensitivity issues) and the directory is chmod to 777.

Quote Reply
No, something starting with http: is a url , not a path.

it should start with a slash and be the actual path on your server. /something/backupdirectory

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
one last question - I found the backup folder that LSQL created when it does the automatic question. When I download those files to my computer, should that be in binary or test mode or doesn't it matter?

Thanks.

Quote Reply
anyone? Unsure

Quote Reply
AFAIK it should be in ASCII (text) mode.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong Smile

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Bumping this up for another backup related question.

I have the .sql file with the db backed up. Should I need to transfer to another host and start everything from scratch - what else needs to be backed up? Is it just the templates? the whole online admin folder? I want to make sure all globals added and everything unique to my site is properly backed up on my computer.

Quote Reply
You may want to wait for my Auto_Backup plugin. Should be released within the next few days. This will backup;

Plugin Settings
Templates
Database
ConfigData.pm
'defs'

You own my plugins package, right? If so, you get this plugin free when I release it. I'm at the final beta version now.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] How do I backup? In reply to
Thanks for the offer Andy. I don't own the plugin package and I'm afraid I won't be spending much more money soon. Just had a ton of expenses on the site as it is.

What's the way to go about it without the plugin? which folders need to be backed up?

Quote Reply
Your best bet is to backup the whole admin folder. Its not foolproof, as you still need to do a Database backup with mysqldump,otherwise your data will be lost.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] How do I backup? In reply to
Thanks - I already backuped the DB Cool

Quote Reply
Is there still a need for doing MYSQL Backups and Folder Backups with the new Version 3.0 backup functionality?

If there is a need, what is the tool "backuping".