Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Help - reindexing problem!

Quote Reply
Help - reindexing problem!
I just finished importing ~23,000 links from the open dircetory to my site which previously had just over 2,000 links.
Repair tables went fine.
When running "rebuild search" the process gets killed before it gets to 2,000 links (I tried both the web admin and shell). I should mention that I'm on virtual hosting, and I suspect the process might be killed because of server resources.
Is there anyway around this? Can I make it re-index from the point is stopped on the previous run (that way after running the program 10-15 times it will finish re-indexing)? Is there any other solution?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

- Didi

Quote Reply
Re: Help - reindexing problem! In reply to
In Reply To:
Is there any other solution?
Yep. Move to a dedicated server.

Your host probably has a limit on the execution time of cgi/perl scripts so it will be killed. I dont think there is a way to begin again where it ended.

Paul Wilson.
Installations:
http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
Quote Reply
Thanks Paul, but I was hoping for another, less expensive answer.Wink
Does anyone have any experience with re-indexing a 20,000+ links directory on a virtual server?

To Paul (or anyone else kind enough to answer) I have one more question.

As long as I don't re-index the search I can still use the regular (non-indexed) search with no problem (it currently works fine including the imported links). If that would have been the only problem, then it wouldn't be a big one as the search is relatively fast.

The *real* problem is that I can't rebuild pages. The build process goes well through building the "New" and "Cool" pages, but it gets stuck when trying the first category, and gives the following error message:
"A fatal error has occured: Can't call method "fetchrow_hashref" without a package or object reference at (eval 31) line 74."

Again, and help is appreciated and welcome,

Didi

Quote Reply
Hi, yes if the non-indexed search works ok for you then stick with it.

Have you modified nph-build.cgi?

What version of Links SQL do you use?

Paul Wilson.
Installations:
http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
Quote Reply
Paul, thanks for your quick reply and help.
For now, I will give up on the re-indexing and use the regular search (unless someone comes up with a good suggestion).
The build problem turned out to be un-related, it was my mistake not applying a custom column to the new links imported from the ODP.

Thanks again,

Didi