Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Google Webmaster Tools - site verification

Quote Reply
Google Webmaster Tools - site verification
I'm having problems with the 'site verification' process for Googles Webmaster Tools....

Previously this was OK, but I checked today and noticed that the site is showing as 'Not Verified'

Verification status: NOT VERIFIED
Last attempt Dec 5, 2008: We've detected that your 404 (file not found) error page returns a status of 200 (Success) in the header.

Googles site verification offers 2 methods:

1) Upload an HTML file: 'google0e9155d1c113c151.html' (I've done this but when trying this in the site url I get one of the detailed pages????

2) Add a meta tag: <meta name="verify-v1" content="1i23E8RhzsTD9y7316r4vhHTfBnn1/pW8Ohc+QMEHPQ=" />

I've tried this but the Google webmaster tool 'site verification' process, returns the same NOT verified message

Note: I've recently changed the site to use 'mod_rewrite'

On the 'help' page there is a section about error codes: We can't verify sites configured to return other status codes (such as 2xx or 5xx) for non-existing URLs, because this would enable anyone to verify ownership of your site.

any ideas or help with how to 'fix' this so that I can verify the site to have access to Google webmaster tools?

Thanks

Colin Thompson

Last edited by:

colintho: Dec 5, 2008, 10:18 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] Google Webmaster Tools - site verification In reply to
Hi,

The reason it won't work with the uploaded file, is cos the mod_rewrite will be overwriting it :)

You could put it in the /static/ folder, then try accessing it from your browser - and see if you get the file.

If not, you need to double check that the <meta tag is definatly showing up in the header (should be in the <head> ..</head> bit)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Google Webmaster Tools - site verification In reply to
Andy

thanks for the help

I've uploaded the html file to the /static/ folder but when checking in browserm it still shows the same 'link detailed' page as before??

I've checked the verification 'meta tag' for the homepage, it's definately in the <head> section??

is it this 'error code' status 200 that's causing the problem??

stil showing:
Verification status: NOT VERIFIED
Last attempt Dec 5, 2008: We've detected that your 404 (file not found) error page returns a status of 200 (Success) in the header.

Thanks
Colin Thompson

Last edited by:

colintho: Dec 5, 2008, 10:27 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] Google Webmaster Tools - site verification In reply to
Please email me the URL to the .html file for GWebmaster you have uploaded (and FTP info), I'll take a look for you (assuming you are quick - cos I'm off down the pub in about 20 mins =))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!