Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Extracting multiple categories from DMOZ?

Quote Reply
Extracting multiple categories from DMOZ?
Hi all, I tried using the following code last night via SSH/Telnet to extract portions of DMOZ.

Quote:
perl /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/cgi-bin/cgi/admin/nph-import.cgi --import RDF --source=/home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/cgi-bin/content.rdf.u8 --destination="/home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/cgi-bin/cgi/admin/defs" --create-columns --create-missing-categories --rdf-category="Top/Adult" --rdf-user="Admin" --rdf-add-date="2002-10-01" -- rdf-update

Everything seems to be going fine, except that it's still going at 8:30am this morning. Laugh The problem with that is, I wanted to run this about 10 more times to gather about 10 more categories, Is there anyway to append the previous code in order to gather multiple categories specified from DMOZ? Maybe with an "&" function or something?

I'm also curious if I have to wait for the whole thing to get done before this should work? What I mean is that it's already passed the category I extracted and I wonder if I can just turn it off now - will the category be there? Or does it not write to the files until the whole process is done? I am guessing it takes until the whole process is done because I tried downloading the def files and nothing was there. At least, I'm hoping this is the case or I did this wrong somehow.

Would someone be kind enough to answer those 2 questions for me? Most importantly, the question about how to extract multiple categories of DMOZ at once.

I certainly appreciate your time and help. Thanks so much.

Keywords for posters using search to query for this topic: DMOZ, Open Directory, slices, splices, dumps
Quote Reply
Re: [Sugaar] Extracting multiple categories from DMOZ? In reply to
As far as I am aware, there is no 'multiple category' import feature. Regarding the process. After the import you need to run the 'repair tables' (in Database), and it will re-configure the category counts in your database.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!