Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Editors Function Not Working, files possibly missing from the program?

Quote Reply
Editors Function Not Working, files possibly missing from the program?
I need to add category editors, and nothing seems to be working. In the past the site was upgraded from Links 1.0, to Links SQL, and more lately to Gossamer Links. Here are the steps I went through and the problems I had, if it will help troubleshoot this:

1. I set up a username and password for an editor at cgi-bin/lsql/user.cgi.

2. I assigned that user to edit two categories. Upon checking the categories, at the bottom it indicated that this member was an editor.

3. I returned to the User sign in form, and signed in as the new editor. There was no link to the editor controls.

I had read in the forums that there is supposed to be a "maintain.cgi" file somewhere in the system that the editor link is supposed to point to. I had also read of a file called "editor.cgi" which is also missing.

Neither of these files is present in the program files, so if I try to go to the maintain.cgi file directly after signing in as an editor, I get a 404 error.

Are the maintain.cgi and editor.cgi supposed to be present in Gossamer Links, or what could the problem be?
http://www.turkeycentral.com/ Turkey's English-friendly Internet Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Ben Densin] Editors Function Not Working, files possibly missing from the program? In reply to
Hi,

You need to link them to:

http://www.yoursite.com/cgi-bin/links/browser.cgi

Quote:
I had read in the forums that there is supposed to be a "maintain.cgi" file somewhere in the system that the editor link is supposed to point to. I had also read of a file called "editor.cgi" which is also missing.

Mmm.. not sure where you saw that? There shouldn't be a file named that AFAIK.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Post deleted by Ben Densin In reply to
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Editors Function Not Working, files possibly missing from the program? In reply to
Hi Andy, Thanks for the reply... It seems to be working, that is, when I log in as the editor, then log in separately at the browser.cgi page. But...

There apparently is a file called editor.cgi and maintain.cgi... if you search the forum for either of these file names, there are lots of posts about these files, like here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=71937;search_string=maintain.cgi;#71937

I'm wondering what I'm supposed to have and what I'm not... As I understand it, the way it's supposed to work, is that an editor would sign in, and when he does, has a link to his editor's panel, where he can add links to the categories he's assigned to. After the upgrade, I was missing some templates in my default templates, that thanks to the reply to another post, I found in the Luna templates folder, so I want to make sure i have everything...
Quote Reply
Re: [Ben Densin] Editors Function Not Working, files possibly missing from the program? In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
There apparently is a file called editor.cgi and maintain.cgi... if you search the forum for either of these file names, there are lots of posts about these files, like here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=71937;search_string=maintain.cgi;#71937

Thats from version 1 of Links SQL, which dates back to 1999.

Gossamer Links / LinksSQL 2.x + works in a different way (it was a total rewrite of LinksSQL 1.0)

Quote:
I'm wondering what I'm supposed to have and what I'm not... As I understand it, the way it's supposed to work, is that an editor would sign in, and when he does, has a link to his editor's panel, where he can add links to the categories he's assigned to. After the upgrade, I was missing some templates in my default templates, that thanks to the reply to another post, I found in the Luna templates folder, so I want to make sure i have everything...

Well, assuming they can run browser.cgi (the editors), then all should be fine Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Editors Function Not Working, files possibly missing from the program? In reply to
Thanks so much for the help on this as I try to get things working. But now, signing in as the new editor, I can't do anything in any category below the top-level category, even though the editor shows as being assigned to all of the lower-level categories when I view the category tree in the admin panel. I'll go over the steps I've taken below:

1. I successfully added an editor, and assigned him to two top-level categories, Hotels, and Destinations. When viewing subcategories under these top-level categories, the editor was assigned to them as well.

2. I then signed in with the editor's username and password, and went to the browser.cgi page. The category tree was there, and I could open it to the top level categories he was assigned, Hotels and Destinations. The functions needed for the top level categories seemed to work properly, so the editor could do his work in those top level categories (that is, if there were any links in them).

3. I clicked on "Destinations" to expand the subcategories. I got a flashing message "Querying Database." This message flashed for about ten minutes after the page had fully loaded (animated GIF I assume). The same happened with the "Hotels" subcategory. Nothing below the top-level categories he was assigned to would open.

4. I did a complete re-build to see if that was the problem. I returned to the browser.cgi page and had the same problem. Next I ran "repair tables." That didn't work either.

Everything seems to work okay with the top level categories the editor was directly assigned to. But nothing below that would open at all, and that's where he needs to do his work.

Thanks for your patience, and your advice, on this!
Quote Reply
Are you using Opera? There's currently a bug in the editor javascript that makes that happen with Opera. Try IE or Firefox if this is the case (it will be fixed in the next release).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Editors Function Not Working, files possibly missing from the program? In reply to
Sorry for the delay, I'm working several issues at one time... I'm using Firefox.
Quote Reply
If you give me admin panel access, I can take a quick look at it.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Editors Function Not Working, files possibly missing from the program? In reply to
For future reference, the problem was that the old 'default' template was being used and it had its own browser templates. If you remove those templates, and create a .tplinfo file:
Code:
{
inheritance => '../browser'
}
then it should work.

Adrian