Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Editor modifications not displaying correctly

Quote Reply
Editor modifications not displaying correctly
Here is the problem in a nutshell: An editor opens the category tree, finds a link, clicks "Edit", makes a change and clicks "Modify Link". The screen closes as normal and the system displays "Link Modified Successfully". If the editor then clicks on "Edit" again, the change he has just made does not show. It has in fact been recorded in the database, but it does not show on the editor screen.

Can anyone point to the likely cause of this?

In the Admin tree on the same GLinks installation we get normal operation, no problems.
In the Editor tree and the Admin tree of a different GLinks installation on the same website/server we also get normal operation.
This suggests to me that there is some misconfiguration of the installation.

Also, is it possible that the dreaded "Rebuild Category Tree" would help here?

Thanks,
--Jo
Quote Reply
Re: [iplay] Editor modifications not displaying correctly In reply to
Do you have mod_perl enabled? If so, they may well be seeing a cached version. Try forcing browser.cgi to NOT be included in the mod_perl startup.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Editor modifications not displaying correctly In reply to
Thanks for replying Andy. That sounds promising. I'm ashamed to say I've no idea about mod_perl. It's a Gossamer Threads server. But I will try to check. What seems odd is that I have three other installation on the same website and server but they don't have this problem.

How does one force browser.cgi to not be included?

Thanks,
--Jo
Quote Reply
Hi,

Normally you can tell if you have mod_perl, as it will have a modperl_startup.pl file in the root FTP. If you have this, chances are you're running mod_perl (unless it was activated, and then disabled... as that would leave those files there). Assuming you do have mod_perl enabled, then its quite simple to disable (just let me know, and I'll look up the codes ;))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Thanks Andy. I have never seen a modperl_startup.pl file in the root FTP or anywhere, and I can't see one now. On the other hand, I can see README.mod_perl in which Gossamer Threads recommends running Gossamer Links under mod_perl. Since this is a dedicated Gossamer Threads server I assume they have configured it that way, though as I say I don't see it. If it is running, does it apply to one GLinks installation only or to the whole website? As I mentioned, I have three other GLinks installations on the same website/server which have no problems at all Crazy - and I don't see any sign of mod_perl in those either.

Thanks,
--Jo

Last edited by:

iplay: Nov 21, 2013, 5:25 AM
Quote Reply
Mmm ok, so that doesn't sound like you have mod_perl enabled then. May be worth emailing GT to see if they have any ideas. The only time I've seen caching like your mentioning, is either with a browser caching issue, or mod_perl. Have you tried it in other browsers?

Cheers

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
The editor in question has tried it in two different browsers and I have on three different browsers on a completely different m/c. Admittedly we're on the same ISP in Bangkok, but I don't have any caching issues on the other installations on the same website with the same browsers^^

Thanks,
--Jo
Quote Reply
Mmm yes, it does seem odd. Shoot over login details + and example user, and I'll have a look tomorrow for you.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Just an update on this. It turned out to be a weird caching issue with their ISP (not host). I added in a ajax=<%timestamp%> tag, and this fixed it (as the URL changed each time). Seems weird how it was working ok in the admin "browse" feature, but not browser.cgi , but at least this solution fixed it =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk