Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Deatils Pages--I'm Sorry, But I'm Totally Lost

Quote Reply
Deatils Pages--I'm Sorry, But I'm Totally Lost
Hi...

Before purchasing, I posted at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=LSQLQuest&Number=126249&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

...to check a few things, one of which was the ability to have Detailed pages. A nice person told me this was "standard" with Links SQL 2.

OK, well, it may be standard, but I'm absolutely clueless as to how to implement it.

I have searched and read, but I'm left believing that the directions to date assume a user has a) an in-depth knowledge of Perl and b) an in-depth knowledge of Links SQL 2. The directions span multiple posts in multiple threads, are cross referenced everywhere, and have no defined start or finish. For a novice, this is probably confusing to the point of being impossible to implement. I'm not a stupid person, but I certainly can't implement what I've read.

Is it possible to get some directions on making this work? The Admin instructions of:

Note: you must create the link to the detailed page yourself. This can be done in the link.html template using the <%build_detail_url%> template tag.

...really don't cut it for me, I'm getting a "Unknown Tag" error. Besides which, where are people supposed to *input* their details?

I really need to know what to add, where...

I don't know if anyone would be willing to help me out, but I'd be very grateful if I could get this working.

Frustrated,
Bri

Quote Reply
Re: Deatils Pages--I'm Sorry, But I'm Totally Lost In reply to
I think you have a different idea of what a detail page is.

Check out http://postcards.com/ for a pretty standard (but modified) use of a detail page.

The information is entered on the add.html screen (we don't take submissions on that site, so don't look for one there). Usually, people add a field to the database such as "Long_Description" or whatever else they want.

Then, on the detail.html template, you make room for these extra fields. These are things that don't fit on the link.html template.

Check out the FAQ below for a really "munged" use of the link.html and detail.html to provide both more and less data in a somewhat random way.

My point is, you need to set this up. The functionality and features are all there. You need to decide what data to collect from the users, and what to display, and how.

The tag <%build_detail_url%> should contain the path to your Detailed directory, so you'd link to the file there by :

<%build_detail_url%>/<%ID%>.html

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
OK, maybe I do have the wrong idea of what a Details page is, but I thought I could allow users to input text in an additional field to generate a result like so:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/Detailed/869.html

So I'm going to try what you suggested and see how far I get... thank you! :)

Quote Reply
Yippee!!! I'm 9/10ths of the way there!!! Thank you very much :o))

OK, for other totally new people like me, here are the directions:

1. Go to Admin
2. Choose Databases
3. In Editor, choose Links/Properties/Go
4. Choose Add Column

Name: Description_Long
Column Type: Text
Form Display: Description_Long
Form Type: Text Area
Form Size: 20
Search Weight: 1

5. Go to Build
6. Choose User Templates and open Add.html
7. Add the following to your input form and save:

<tr><td align="right" valign="top">Long Description:</td>
<td><textarea wrap="virtual" name="Description_Long" value="" rows="3" cols="42">
</textarea></td></tr>

8. Open Link.html, add the following, and save:

<%if Description_Long%>
<span class="descript"><a class="descript" href="<%build_detail_url%>/<%ID%>.html">Click for Details</a>
</span>
<%endif%>

9. Open Detailed.html, add the following, and save:

<p><%Description_Long%></p>

(You'll want to take *out* some stuff as well)

10. Build all

I know it's working 'cos I can see all the info when I validate the links and I can also go directly to a Details page after Build and see the correct info, but I'm still getting the Unknown tag: build_detail_url error, though :(

Any ideas?
--Bri

Quote Reply
Sorry, this is a documentation bug. Use: <%detailed_url%> instead and that's it, you don't need /<%ID%> or anything.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks... it also works if you add a /before <%build_detailed_url%>/<%ID%>

Quote Reply
Re: Detailed Pages In reply to
Ok, since this one bit me too, I thought I'd give what worked for me. Clarifies what was said in this topic.

1. Go to Admin
2. Choose Databases
3. In Editor, choose Links/Properties/Go
4. Choose Add Column

Name: Description_Long
Column Type: Text
Form Display: Description_Long
Form Type: Text Area
Form Size: 20
Search Weight: 1

5. Go to Build
6. Choose User Templates and open Add.html
7. Add the following to your input form and save:

<tr><td align="right" valign="top">Long Description:</td>
<td><textarea wrap="virtual" name="Description_Long" value="" rows="3" cols="42">
</textarea></td></tr>

8. Open Link.html, add the following, and save:

<%if Description_Long%>
<span class="descript">[<a class="descript" href="<%detailed_url%>">More</a>]
</span>
<%endif%>

9. Open Detailed.html, add the following, and save:

<p><%Description_Long%></p>

(You'll want to take *out* some stuff as well)

10. Build all

Is this correct?

Post deleted by cdkrg In reply to