Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Community Plug-in

Quote Reply
Community Plug-in
Sorry if this question is covered in another post but I couldn't find anything since February.

I would like to enable users to have a single sign on type function across three products (Mail, Forum, LinksSQL) and most of all make it easier from a database perspective.

I got the impression that the community plug-in could handle this. Therefore does anybody know whether there is a plug-in or a mod available ?

Cheers Jag
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Community Plug-in In reply to
Community will be able to handle this. Nobody knows when it will be released.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Community Plug-in In reply to
I would be interested to know what effects this plug-in has, if any, on the different products and/or database(s). Does it require new versions of LinksSQL, Forum and GossamerMail ? Does it affect the database structure ?

I am about to do a clean install of everything so I'd like to get a bit of an idea whether since I will only launch when the community plug-in SSO function is available, is it worth starting now or will I have to re-install everything afterwards for the plug-in to work properly/efficiently ?

I know that I will most probably have to wait and I know that waiting with the Gossamer Dev. gang has always been worth while ; quality products result from the wait. But there must be a general idea on how it will interact/be implemented, so I suspect a staff member can provide feedback on the above type of questions.

Cheers, Jag
Significant Media
Quote Reply
See this announcements for what community will do:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...rum.cgi?post=188239;

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Community Plug-in In reply to
Hi Yogi,

Thanks for your link I think I'd read it some time ago but If I understand rightly the concept seems to be based upon an LDAP type repository that will enable the Single Sign On (SSO) function that Alex refers to.

As I was saying I'm not sure what impact this will have on the present membership structure. a) I wonder whether people will have to re-register to have an SSO or whether there is an import function that will filter out clashes ? b) Will products (GossamerMail, Forum and LinksSQL) need to be updated even though Alex refers to a plug-in for GT products to be compliant?

I am presently about to launch myself into an installation of the three products quoted above and I'm wondering whether it will be better to wait for the community plug before doing so since I won't lauch without SSO.

PS : I like the Image function under the name :) Obviously everybody then has to put up with my face though !
Significant Media

Last edited by:

Jag: Jul 10, 2002, 3:08 PM
Quote Reply
I think Alex should give us an update. The last one on community was in March (if i'm not mistaken).