Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Column cannot be left blank

Quote Reply
Column cannot be left blank
I changed the category table and added a new column. This column I filled up for every entry.

Now when I go to Browes>Home>Category1 and try to alter and save the entries I get the error message "Column (There exists altered entries) cannot be left blank"

I'm able to create new categories withou any troubles. Even this new catergories I'm able to change. BUT as soon as I go to the DBMan and add a value to my customized Column, it's no longer possible to alter the entry and the error appears.

Where or how can I fix that?
Quote Reply
Re: [gk] Column cannot be left blank In reply to
Hi,

Changing the 'Not Null' properties of that column to 'No' will work. In your admin panel, click on the 'Database' link on the top. Then, on your left hand side, select 'Category' in the first drop down, 'Properties' in the second one, then click 'Go' button. In the corresponding page, click on your New column name.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog
Quote Reply
Re: [tandat] Column cannot be left blank In reply to
Well I tried that with the MySQLMan in the table categories where I added the new column.

I set the porperties of the column "Null" to yes (= null is allowed), BUT is still get this strange message in the 3.04 version.

I attached the error message to this post.

Last edited by:

gk: Jan 25, 2006, 2:05 PM
Quote Reply
One more hint to the problem. The field which I added to the category table is not shown in the 'Alter existing Category' function. Further I use this column to sort the categories. Maybe this is the reason?! Please help
Quote Reply
I see. You should use the 'Resync' link in the page I suggested before you can see and edit its properties.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Dat

Blog
Quote Reply
Re: [tandat] Column cannot be left blank In reply to
I followed now your words and I found the section (Edit Category Table Definition[/url]) where all the columns of the table are shown. (thanks)

I refreshed and the second error which is shown above in my attached file was remove. The first ist still there.

I decided than to delete the added column completely... and the error still exists. (I refresh also again as you described above.)
Quote Reply
Please translate that message into English. I don't know what it means ;-)

Cheers,

Cheers,

Dat

Blog
Quote Reply
If you are setting this using MySQLMan, they do not use 'Yes' and 'No'.

Are you setting it through the database properties? if so; then 'Not Null' should be set at 'No' if you want the field to be left blank.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Column cannot be left blank In reply to
Hello Everybody,

first I have to say thanks to you all for your support.

I tried i the way like tandat said and I did it with the MySQLMan, bot did not work, and because I'm at the beginning of the development I decided to start completly new..... Well that is not the best way to do it and I hope I will never ever need to do it.

But now it works, if I do my changes in like tandat said. (Means I'm not using the MySQLMan.) Advantage of this way is that you are shown the textboxes in the forms.

Thanks again!

GK

PS: The German translation is not clear ;-) theirfore I got also big troubles to understand what is meant by the error message. It would mybe help if they would state the column which had changed or is new, so that somebody exactly knows which column needs to be changed in the properties.

Last edited by:

gk: Jan 26, 2006, 8:45 AM
Quote Reply
I am having problem with the columns when I change "Not Null" to no I get a error that reads:
  • For radio, checkbox and select forms, you must specify the names and the values in the two textarea boxes one per line. The names are what is stored in the database, and the values is what is displayed in the browser.
  • A column must be defined as not null if you want to index it.