Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Can there be a field to embed YouTube video?

Quote Reply
Can there be a field to embed YouTube video?
Here's a question for all you smart people...

In our directory, I would like to add a field for members to paste their video intro embed code so that their listing also displays a video for would-be clients to view. My tech guy wasn't sure if Gossamer Links would allow HTML in the fields so I thought I would check with you all here.

He says we could definitely add a field where folks could enter the video code (not the embed code), but the problem I am foreseeing is that there are going to be a lot of folks with questions on how to do that, etc. I want to avoid having to give a lot of hand-holding and instead make it really simple and understandable (people are used to just copying and pasting video embed codes, not hunting or knowing where to look for video codes).

So what say you? Is it possible to have a field in the submit form where they just paste their video's embed code so that it will display in their listing for client's to play? If so, is there anything I need to pass onto my tech guy on how to set that up?

Oh, here is the link to our directory: http://virtualassistantnetworking.com/directory/
Quote Reply
Re: [therelief] Can there be a field to embed YouTube video? In reply to
Hi,

Piece of cake :)

All you need to do, is add a new field via Database > Links > Properties > Add Field

Set it up as:

Name: YouTube_Video
Type: TEXT
Form type: TEXTAREA
Form Size: 30,10

Thats it . you just need to include this in your detailed.html template, with <%YouTube_Video%>

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Can there be a field to embed YouTube video? In reply to
Thank you!

Another related question... what if we wanted to allow video HTML embed codes for Viddler and Vimeo as well as YouTube?
Quote Reply
If the embedded HTML is just plain JS/HTML, then it wouldn't matter what provider it came from - it would still show up

Obviously you would need to check the code is ok, before validating the link (in case they stuck some malicious code in there ;))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Thanks again!

Yes, absolutely... our directory isn't for anyone and everyone. It's just for our specific industry and we hand-approve the members so we pretty much know everyone who goes in there. Anyone suspicious would be rejected.
Quote Reply
Oh, one last quick question... so for the Viddler and Vimeo videos, we would also have to add that same thing for them as for YouTube in the detailed.html template? Like this? >> <%Vimeo_Video%> and <%Viddler_Video%>
Quote Reply
Nope - just use the same field - no need to have more than 1 field for each of them :) (just call the field "VideoHTML", if you wanna keep it open for any video site)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thank you very, very much! Really appreciate it. :)