Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Building tag cloud from search logs - suggestions wanted

Quote Reply
Building tag cloud from search logs - suggestions wanted
I've written a global to display a tag cloud based on the top x number of queries in the search log table, from the last y number of days. It's working pretty well and I am reasonably happy with it Wink.

One of the problems with using the search log table is that the counts become less meaningful the older the database is. Terms that may be popular on a short term basis e.g. 'Christmas', are not given the weighting they deserve in the tag cloud because the slog_count for consistently popular queries distorts the data. It would actually be easier to build a tag cloud if the terms weren't automatically grouped by the script i.e. if the log recorded each term and date separately.

I'm trying to work out some solutions to this, including resetting the slog_count column to zero either daily or weekly, or adding another column to track the weekly or daily counts on a rolling basis. Any other ideas or comments are welcome!
Quote Reply
Re: [aus_dave] Building tag cloud from search logs - suggestions wanted In reply to
Mmm - thats not very simple =)

Really, what you would need - is a totally seperate logging system - which would track each search, and date it. Then, the global could get them easily :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Building tag cloud from search logs - suggestions wanted In reply to
That's what I'm starting to think too Andy - I might have a look at the code that does the standard search logging and see what can be done.

It shouldn't be too complicated and it will give us a much better picture of people are searching for at the moment rather than historically.