Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Auto-build
I'm confused again, but you might be pleased to know that I've at least changed topics of confusion :)

I'm confused now by auto-building. I want the site to update itself, meaning that links don't need to be validated and Build All does not have to be performed to get the site to display new links.

This is possible, right?

What further confuses me is that on the snap | altavista | yahoo | default options in the footer, I believe that when default was clicked, it was showing all new links with no validation or building required.

If I'd realised that was what I wanted originally, I wouldn't have, umm, deleted the links from the footer.

So, I guess, can anyone give me the code to add that *back* in? And then what do I do, just set that default view page as my home page?

Help! Thanks :o)

--Bri

Quote Reply
Re: Auto-build In reply to
OK, I found the page.cgi thing and I guess that was a pretty stupid question.

I've gone through all the settings. Dynamic is on, nobody has to join before adding links, but it's still not automatically adding them. I've still got links waiting to be validated by the administrator.

What undoubtedly obvious thing am I missing?

--Bri

Quote Reply
This might require a code change to make the default isValidated = 'Yes' rather than 'No'.

Alex might want to add this to the list of potential configuration options, but in general, this is something not advised -- as it leaves you open to major spamming, and potential destruction of your service. At least if links have to be approved first, there is no incentive for people to spam you for that brief window of visibility.

Think about it....

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Terrific, can someone tell me where to change the default validated setting?

I've thought about security, obviously. Users are already authenticated against a different database when they enter. The entire directory in which Links SQL sits is secure. Once they're in, I don't care what they add, frankly--it's a trusted user group.

So, as people are already authenticated, I just need the updating to be automatic.

Out of curiosity, what *is* the difference between Static and Dynamic if not auto-adding?

--Bri

Quote Reply
Ooooo, I did it! My, that was easy!

Add.cgi: change Status =>'Not Validated' to 'Validated' and Validated No to Validated Yes

It now auto-updates in the Dynamic version. :o)

I'm thrilled! Thank you, Pugdog!

I still don't understand the difference between Dynamic and Static if you're not doing this, but never mind.

--Bri

Quote Reply
Static builds the pages a head of time, and the server just reads them off the disk. They only change the next time you build.

Dynamic is done in "real time". The server creates the page -- EACH AND EVERY -- time a person requests it. IF hits, username, or other stuff changes between requests, the page is updated "dynamically". This uses a LOT more server resources, especiall on busy sites. A site that is "busy" and handling it with static pages, could crash if dynamic pages were tried, and an over burdoned server could get a break if static pages were used (and builds were done in the off-hours).

It's a choice. Depends on how much CPU/server you have, and how you want to go.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ