Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Articles or Links

Quote Reply
Articles or Links
Hi,

I was wondering whether someone could explain what the difference was between the links and article approach for LinksSQL and whether it is possible to use both ?

To be honest I didn't even know that you could create an article type but someone posted a link to a links site that had a red "article" button to indicate there was a new one. Crazy

I'm looking at magazine type site with LinksSQL and was wondering whether it is possible to create simple articles as well as links in the same category.

Sorry if this is redundant but I couldn't find any information doing a search on article and link in the LinksSQL forum... Blush

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Articles or Links In reply to
Hi Jag

Have a look at:

Industry - Articles
Industry - Links
Industry -Events

But I don't have them in the same category, each has there own very basic template set.

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Re: [minesite] Articles or Links In reply to
Hi mineste,

Thanks for those examples (and nice site BTW). How do you differentiate them in the database though ? Isn't the URL set at not null for example for links etc.

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
I would do it this way;

1) Add a new field, called EntryType, Link/Article
2) in link.html (and, I guess, detailed.html), put;

Code:
<%if EntryType eq "Article"%>
you're article HTML here.
<%else%>
normal lin khere
<%endif%>

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi John

(and nice site BTW)

Thanks

“How do you differentiate them in the database though ?
Isn't the URL set at not null for example for links etc.”

Users still add an article the same way as the link, complete with url but with a few extra options.
I just have a column in the links table “LinkType” with the option of article or link etc.
Then have different link template for the each option, in the link template have a hidden field like
<input type="hidden" name="LinkType" value="article">
The Standard link when clicked on will go to their site and with the articles they go to a detailed page, then they can visit the site for further info.

You can display the different type links via the following which I use for search etc but for the standard display they are in individual categories.

<%loop links_loop%>
<%if LinkType eq 'article'%>
<%include link_article.html%>
<%endif%>
<%endloop%>

<%loop links_loop%>
<%if LinkType eq 'link'%>
<%include link_link.html%>
<%endif%>
<%endloop%>

If you use this link below it will show the search results for all link types.
Search

Its really not that hard to do, a lot of trial and error and just takes a bit of time setting it up.
If you want to go ahead with it let me know and I can fill you in on the basics.

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Re: [minesite] Articles or Links In reply to
Hi,

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this one and I'm starting to implement the changes you suggested so I'd just like to thank you for the information you provided. Sorry again for not having thanked you for this feedback for some reason I thought I had but it was mainly because you provided all the info I needed Blush.

Thanks again, John