Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Anyone using Editors?

Quote Reply
Anyone using Editors?
Are there any others out there who are using or plan on using Editors for their directory fairly heavily? (Simialr to DMOZ style)

Just looking for someone to share some thoughts and ideas with, in particular needs and issues with dealing with editors:
  • Using current features provided with Links
  • Suggestions for new features for Links
  • Ways of organizing editors and preventing unwated damage to your database
  • Rewarding your editors
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Anyone using Editors? In reply to
Hi

I do use the editors system..

what i have running:

1- Editors sign up form.

2- Editors Site Banner displayed on our site.

We I am planning on using is:

Editors own page with links and info about them.

Alex promised a while ago to come up with a complete new editors system in the Next release.
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] Anyone using Editors? In reply to
Hi,

It sounds like we are both looking for something similar here.

I also have an editor sign up form which is seperate to the Links templates, just a straight html file with its on php mailer.

I like your idea of the banner for your editors. I dont have banners on my site so I am using sponsored links instead as well as an AdCredits system for purchasing other advertising.

I am really hoping for more information in the editor browser window, where editors can see their details such as:
  • How long they have been editing
  • Their rewards (this would differ from site to site I guess)
  • Maybe some stats which only editors should have access to.

I have actually posted a thead on creating a global for my editor browser window.

How do you manage editors so they don't mess up fields in your tables? For example, putting SUB1 in new categories (if you are using the Yahoo template) or not changing any fields you don't want them to?

I am also thinking of a seperate - autogenerated editor info page. This is where searchers can find out more about a particular editor, such as their email address..... kind of like what DMOZ has when you click on an editor name - but better!

I know Alex mentioned something about re-vamping in a post I made as well. Fingers crossed.

One of the reason I started this thread is to see just how many people are actually using the editor functions of Links.

Thanks for replying.
Quote Reply
Do you have any way of saying "This Category Needs an Editor" when there is no editor assigned to it?

Currenty links does not show the Editor bar at the bottom of the page when there is no editor assigned to the category. I assigned every category 'admin' until I got a few editors, but took it off as it looked like the Category was taken at glance.
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Anyone using Editors? In reply to
Hi

not to what I know..

I have a Become An Editor statement on all pages that will forward the user to a form to fill out to become an editor.
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Yeah, I have exactly the same things at the moment also..... I am really hoping to give my searchers a little more.... not to be exactly like dmoz..... but I am aiming for hyperlinks from the editors names at the bottom of each page to their profile pages, and when there is nobody there, have the words "This Category Needs and Editor" with the hyperlink to the signup page.

I currently have "Become an Editor" on every page regardless of whether it has an editor or not.

hmmmm

Last edited by:

sooke: May 5, 2002, 9:37 PM