Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

An IF with a global flair

Quote Reply
An IF with a global flair
Hi,

I am wanting to create an IF and a global to do the following (in laymans terms)

If you are in <x category> then show "Cat Name" with another word <x link>

The trick here is that the category has to be seen as the top level parent and the link is associated to that top level parent.

Table example:

Category X = Category 4 which is this URL
Category y = Category 18 which is this URL
Category z = Category 89 which is this URL
etc...

It will associate from LinksSQL to other programs and sites

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!Cool

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Sep 23, 2002, 7:06 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] An IF with a global flair In reply to
bumpity bumpity bump!
Quote Reply
Brian,

Sorry, I haven't understood what you are trying to do. Can you have another go at explaining it?

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] An IF with a global flair In reply to
Sure Laura...

I will give it another go.

What I am looking to do is have a universal code that will do associations with LinksSQL, GForum and outside products.

From a user side this will look like a link that says "Discuss this link" in the LinksSQL side. When pressed the link will recognize the top level directory you are in and asspciate it with an assigned forum in Gforum.

From GForum the link may say something like "Associated Links". When it is pressed it will recognize the category of the forum that they are in and associate the Links category that matches it.

From a news server (outside program) it would look something like "Links associated with this article" and it would look at the category you are in and associate the link with the matching category in LinksSQL.

So a table would have to be established for each application of the code. The table would link the category you are in with the catery in another program and create a hyperlink to that category.

Category X in program 1 = Category 4 which is this URL in program 3
Category y in program 1 = Category 18 which is this URL in program 3
Category z in program 1 = Category 89 which is this URL in program 3
etc...

Does that make more sense?Tongue
I have to use basic terms to describe the setup and action so please forgive me if it is a bit gray.
Quote Reply
As you know, I'm not yet using GForum - so I haven't really got the opportunity to investigate this. However, what you're describing sounds very similar to Ivan's LinksForum plugin - have you had a look at this?

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] An IF with a global flair In reply to
Hi Laura,

Yes, I have seen that but it will not link my news server to the Links SQL install nor my column management syatem to the News and all by category.

It is designed, if I remember correctly, to create a forum thread for every linksSQL category.

What I am looking for is an association manager. That will take whatever I say on the ledt and associate it with whatever I say on the right. And create the link that appears in any template based program.

So in actuality it is very different than Yogis plugin. Smile

Thanks again!