Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Alternate categories in LinksSQL

Quote Reply
Alternate categories in LinksSQL
Is there a feature to have Alternate categories in LinksSQL, like it was possible in Links v2.0?

• Alternate categories: categories, which exactly has the same links. It is some kind of category linking, so alternate category displays the came content as the original one.
    Example: /Services/Money/ = /Business/Financial Services/
    Alternate category can work in 2 ways:
    1) displays same link content on alternate page, but the whole page is acting (looks like) as a separate category
    2) clicking on an alternate category link does only a redirecting, and the original category page & content is displayed. Yahoo has something similar solution.

• Related categories: categories, which are related to another, but doesn't have same link content.
    Example: /Business/Insurance/ <||> /Business/Financial Services/

Yahoo does this way:

On Directory > Computers and Internet
    - Computer Science@

Alternate categories on Yahoo:
    Directory > Computers and Internet (http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/), has link to Computer Science@
    Directory > Computers and Internet > Computer Science@ (http://dir.yahoo.com/Science/Computer_Science/)
    or
    http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Software/
    http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Business_to_Business/Computers/Software/

I would like to have both Alternate category and Related category feature on same category page, but having different categories listed in it.
    Alternate categories of a category are much less, than related categories of the same category.
    Alternate categories are listed in the category list, while related categories are displayed in separate table on the page.

Opinions? Ideas?

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
    Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
  • Quote Reply
    Re: [webmaster33] Alternate categories in LinksSQL In reply to
    What you're calling "Alternative categories" (2nd one) are 'Related categories' in GLinks.

Your "Related categories" on the other hand, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Adrian
    Quote Reply
    Re: [brewt] Alternate categories in LinksSQL In reply to
    Basically I would like 2 kind of relative categories.

• 1) Relative categories, which acts like Yahoo relative categories and is listed within the normal categories, but having a @ sign near the name. This is a strict, strong category relation.
    Computer/Software
    Business/Computer/Software@
    Both above categories are HARDly related, so are needed to have them "linked", and listed in category list. They are somewhat commutative as the deepest category name is the same.

• 2) Relative categories, which are related to a category, but many similar categories can be listed, separately in a table or list. This is a weaker category relation, as all kind of categories are listed, which the user can be interested in such category.
    Computer/Software
    Business/Computer/Software
    Computer/Accessories
    Computer/Motherboards
    Computer/Processors,
    Computer/Monitors,
    etc...
    These categories above, are weakly related as they are all Computer related categories, but are not commutative in a mathematical way. The weak relation means that one of the father category names are the same, but the deepest categories are not.

I hope this explanation shows you better, what I mean.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
    Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
  • Quote Reply
    Re: [webmaster33] Alternate categories in LinksSQL In reply to
    The bottom line is, that I need 2 relation lists.
    1) Yahoo/like relation list
    2) Usual relation list in a separate table.

The 2 lists should have different category relations.

First is solvable with the implemented relation feature, but I also need a second relation list, too.

Any ideas how to do this?
    I'm afraid there is no easy way to do this, so I will have to write a plugin for the second relation list.

Can somebody confirm this?

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support