Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Adding static pages

Quote Reply
Adding static pages
Hi Everyone!

I know it has been discussed before, but I'm not real clear on adding additional static pages such as an "about us" page or a "privacy policy" page that I would be able to use a seperate template and include tags in as well as links to it from other pages. I have had minimal success building another page, but unable to specify the template without causing an error message.

Thanks,
George
Quote Reply
Re: [macbethgr] Adding static pages In reply to
I am building a plugin at the moment that will do precisely what you are looking for.

The PageBuilder plugin (see related thread in the Developement forum) will allow you to define any number of additional templates. You will be able to use all the globals and includes you are using at the moment.

It will take another week or two before the first public version is released, and I haven't fixed the price yet (it will not be for free).

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [macbethgr] Adding static pages In reply to
I created a template called search_help.html and added it into my template/default/local folder. Then, I referenced it via page.cgi like:

http://www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?p=search_help

Add &d=1 to the end of the url if you using dynamic pages. Works great...

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Adding static pages In reply to
Sounds like a perfect fit for my needs..... I am waiting eagerly........

George
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] Adding static pages In reply to
That's fine for dynamic pages. It's more complicated with static pages....

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Why would you need an "about us" page to be "static" and not just reference it through page.cgi? You use cgi for the forms and everything else in Links SQL. The only thing that's static is categories, what's cool, what's new, and the top rated page to make browsing faster. I really don't think it would matter on single "company info" pages.

Sean
Quote Reply
There are many reasons for prefering real static pages to dynamic static pages, like an "About Us" page would be. But different people (and also search engines, for that matter) have different priorities, that's fine, and I won't argue about that.

macbethgr was specifically asking for static pages, and I was just saying that it is much more difficult (at least for somebody with no perl knowledge) to add a new static page than to add a new dynamic page.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Agreed. You are correct in the fact that there is not a built-in feature to make new "static" pages using the template system. Does your plugin allow you to specify templates as static, then when you run a rebuild, it creates them?

Sean

Last edited by:

SeanP: Jun 12, 2002, 2:35 PM
Quote Reply
There are different options for pages:

static: yes/no (i.e. will be built/will not be built)
dynamic: yes/no (will be displayed in page.cgi or not)

Apart from that it allows you to easily create static (and dynamic pages) for a specific link/user/category/editor/review.

You would call a link page as page.cgi?page=mylinkpage&ID=123 and you could chose the directory where it would be build, e.g. in mypages/links/123.html or also mypages/links/123/index.html

As an admin, you can even specify for which links the specific page is being built and viewable in dynamic mode (if these modes are selected).

To finish off the advertising for the plugin: you can select which users can view the page (this is only for dynamic, no way to make that static from within Links): everyone/registered users/owners of the links/editors/admin.

Ivan
-----

Last edited by:

yogi: Jun 12, 2002, 2:42 PM
Quote Reply
I'll be happy to test it with dynamic pages for you. Laugh
Quote Reply
Sounds good. Can't wait to check it out. Will it be shareware (try it before you buy it)?

Sean
Quote Reply
Of course you can test it before you buy. But as I said, it will be one or two (GT) weeks before I release an initial version.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
A beta version of the plugin is available. Have a look at:

http://gossamer-threads.com/...?post=201609;#201609

Ivan
-----