Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Adding a Resource

Quote Reply
Adding a Resource
I wish this version had a verification page after the user adds a resource which would give them the opportuntity to make corrections. This is another source of duplicate entries and e-mail for me. Users look at the submission and think "oh, I messed up" , then simply add another one.

Quote Reply
Re: Adding a Resource In reply to
This could easily be added either as a plug-in or hacking the add.cgi script to add additional subs to add confirmation screens. But it would be nice to have this feature out of the box...may be as a flag option that if you want to have a confirmation screen, then you select a variable to be ON and if you don't want a confirmation screen, then you set the variable OFF.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I've been trying to do that with the auction. In early alpha, there were some problems passing category, which seem to have been fixed in the current versions.

I'll see if I can hack something together on this.

Really, all you should need to do is pass in a 'Preview' parameter, then in the &add_link sub you'd want to exit _before_ you actually add the link, just return, and if 'Preview' set, print the "Confirm" form.

Just remember that if you add any pre-add plug-in hooks, they _will_ get executed on a preview and again on an add... so unless the pre-add hooks are fixing up the data for addition, it's better to do any stuff on the add data in the post-add hooks.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Hi,

I've added the suggestion to our todo list.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
If alex is going to do this, I'll hold off on the hack. That way there won't have to be any changes.

PUGDOGŪ
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
I was looking for this feature because back in December I was told that it was being added to the "to do" list. Did it get done and I just missed it?

<<I wish this version had a verification page after the user adds a resource which would give them the opportuntity to make corrections. This is another source of duplicate entries and e-mail for me. Users look at the submission and think "oh, I messed up" , then simply add another one.

Quote Reply
Is there still a mod that does this? The Resource page is confusing since it seems to list stuff for 1.X and I'm not sure if those mods work for 2.X

Quote Reply
It looks like this one was low on the priority list. I would love to see the hack... :)

Quote Reply
Is this a subject that no one wishes to comment on? I've been asking questions for months now.

Quote Reply
As Alex stated, it is on their "todo" list, which means they are probably working on it...there are larger "bugs" and features that need attention...this is a relatively small fix, but they will get to it when they get to it.

Be patient.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
It would be a fairly simple thing. But its still better if it comes from GT, than a 3rd party hack, so that it's upgradaable through the versions.

You'd need to add a "preview" flag to the 'submit' button on the add/modify forms, to just take the data, and re-present it as the "full" link. If it's not valid, then provide a "back" button to redisplay the entry form.

You'd need to create an add_preview.html and a modify_preview.html file.

Your add.html and modify.html would pass in the 'preview' flag, and the add_preview.html and modify_preview.html would pass in the standard add/modify flags.

FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
Users continue to add links, then decide they need to make a change, and simply add another. It's totally frustrating and takes lots of time to admin.

Quote Reply
I understand. The graphic/logo mod I made allows a user to edit _all_ their attachments, whether verified or not.

I've made a pseudo hack that allows users to see all their links, pending or not, so that if they want to edit an unverified link, they can.

In general, (I think I posted this before) you just need to change in modify.cgi:

Code:
sub _list_owned_links {
# --------------------------------------------------------
# Display a list of links the user owns.
#
my $link_db = $DB->table('Links');
my $mh = $IN->param('mh') || 25;
my $nh = $IN->param('nh') || 1;
$link_db->select_options ("LIMIT " . (($nh-1)*$mh) . ",$mh");
my $sth = $link_db->select ( { LinkOwner => $USER->{Username}, isValidated => 'Yes' });
change isValidated => 'Yes', to 'No'.

That should work.

Users can then select links that are both pending, and validated.

I also edited the modify_link.html to dosplay a flag:

<%if isValidated eq 'No'%>
<FONT COLOR=RED>Not Validated!</FONT>
<%endif%>

I _think_ that is all I did!

I'll know for sure when the next version of links comes out, and I try to port all my mods and sites. At that point hopefully I'll make the fixes, and be able to release updated, and double checked, code for "generic" installs.

My problem now is my code is so "hacked" I don't know what is release code and what is my mods at this point. The only way I know is when a new release comes out :)

With the "plug-in" system now under my belt, hopefully this will be the last release I get into this problem, since I've more or less figured out how to do most changes via plug-ins, and not hack the code (except one tiny thing, which I think Alex may have updated in the release code.... ).

FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum