Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Adding Links Manually

Quote Reply
Adding Links Manually
Hi

To kick off my Directory I am going to add some links manually, however I also need to set a specific user against each link so that I can email the Link owner with their details and then let them take over future ownership of their link .

My question is simply whats the easiest way of doing this?

Do I add a Link with a invalid username in the Database editor then create the user, or User first then Link, or is there a simpler way?

If the above manual entry is the way to go, do i then need to enter a vaildation code for the User if I have Validation set to yes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
Brinley
I Do Directory
http://www.i-do-directory.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Brinley] Adding Links Manually In reply to
Hi,

Mmm, interesting idea. One solution, would be to add the links as "admin", and then use yogi's ClaimLink plugin. Then, you can email them the link to their detailed page - and if they wanna claim it, they could just click the link (this would then change the link to their username, which saves you having to set it up)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Brinley] Adding Links Manually In reply to
Brinley wrote:
My question is simply whats the easiest way of doing this?

Do I add a Link with a invalid username in the Database editor then create the user, or User first then Link, or is there a simpler way?

If the above manual entry is the way to go, do i then need to enter a vaildation code for the User if I have Validation set to yes?
I've done this once before by writing a csv file using a spreadsheet, with all the appropriate fields & values, then imported it into GLinks. You can then put the User's name in the records. You will need to create an entry for each User. You don't need a validation code.

Get all the fields & values for the spreadsheet by making a 'test' entry and then exporting it.