Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Adding A Mobile Version

Quote Reply
Adding A Mobile Version
Hey. Gonna add a mobile version of the site, but use the same content. So I will write a new template set based on bootstrap, so it is responsive.

Gonna put in a new install of Links for this, and give it a mobile url to differentiate it from the main site. The main reason I THINK I am doing it this way is that my site is hybrid- the categorys are all hard coded and built, but my detail pages are generated on the fly dynamically. So I could do the detail pages with just using the "t=responsive" tag, but that would not work for the category pages. I dont want to make the whole site dynamic because the load for the cat pages is high...

So I thought the best thing to do is just a second install that is the mobile subdomain.

So.... what about the MySQL database? Can I just have the mobile site use the SAME Database? Or should I use a separate database and merge it every night? Or is there an option I am missing???

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Adding A Mobile Version In reply to
nevermind. Seems to be working fine pointed to the same SQL database....
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Hi,

As long as you have same .def files, it should work just fine on a 2nd install. Just be sure to keep them up to date, otherwise you'll get weird results Angelic

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Adding A Mobile Version In reply to
Cool- thanks Andy! Seems to be working just fine. I am polishing up my templeta files and should be live in a couple days!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Cool :)

BTW - I'm not sure if you are aware, but due to having your CSS file included at the bottom of the page - it flashes up as just plain text (for a while on a slower connection). Its better practice to have it in the <head> part, as this means it gets loaded before any content :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!