Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Ack! Where/how do I edit my service list?

Quote Reply
Ack! Where/how do I edit my service list?
I am trying to figure out where/how to edit my service category list.

Here is the page I'm talking about: http://www.virtualassistantnetworking.com/cgi-bin/links/add.cgi

That page comes from the include_form.html file in the User Templates, but where it says "Additional Specialties," those checkboxes/categories comes from somewhere else, but I can't for the life of me figure out where and I need to edit the list.

Can anyone help me?
Quote Reply
Re: [therelief] Ack! Where/how do I edit my service list? In reply to
Hi,

We can't see that page, as its asking us to login ;)

Most likely its set in Database > Links > Properties, and then find that field and click on it. There should be 2 boxes, filled with the values you see on that page.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Ack! Where/how do I edit my service list? In reply to
Yes! I see them there. THANK YOU

Now, my next question is how do I edit the values? The Form Names one says they are "stored in the database" and the Form Values one says they "displayed on form."

On the actual form page, they are displayed as checkboxes where there registrant is the check those skills that apply to them. What I need to do is delete/edit some of the skill checkboxes and then add a couple new ones. Do I simply delete or edit them in the Forms Values box or is that supposed to be done somewhere else?
Quote Reply
Hi,

NP

Quote:
Now, my next question is how do I edit the values? The Form Names one says they are "stored in the database" and the Form Values one says they "displayed on form."

On the actual form page, they are displayed as checkboxes where there registrant is the check those skills that apply to them. What I need to do is delete/edit some of the skill checkboxes and then add a couple new ones. Do I simply delete or edit them in the Forms Values box or is that supposed to be done somewhere else?

The only problem you may find if you delete/add new ones, is that records which already have that value selected - will still have it selected until you update the link next. In regards to adding new ones, that shouldn't be a problem at all. Just be sure to update the same in both of the field - otherwise you will get an error when trying to update

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Thanks so much! I sounds like a silly question, but I'm really scared of breaking things since I usually don't mess with this stuff myself. Unfortunately, my tech guy had a car accident in the family and is unavailable for the moment to take care of things.

One other quick question... I want to change the names on a couple of the navigation buttons (e.g., "add a link" to "submit listing"). I also want to get rid of the "featured" button (we just don't need that). Where do I do that? Or is there too much potential for me to mess things up that I shouldn't even mess with them?
Quote Reply
Hi,

NP - sorry to hear about your web guys accident!

Quote:
One other quick question... I want to change the names on a couple of the navigation buttons (e.g., "add a link" to "submit listing"). I also want to get rid of the "featured" button (we just don't need that). Where do I do that? Or is there too much potential for me to mess things up that I shouldn't even mess with them?

Can you post a link? Hard to explain how to do that without seeing it :) Changing link names should be simple - just a case of editing the templates

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks--I know he and his family appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers.

Here is the link to our directory: http://virtualassistantnetworking.com/directory/

I want to change the name of "Add a Link" to "Submit Listing" and "Newsletter" to "RSS."

I'd also like to just get rid of the "Featured VA" from the navigation entirely.
Quote Reply
Hi,

NP

To change the "add a link", go into the template (include_header.html), and find:

Code:
<li><a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/add.cgi<%if category_id%>?ID=<%category_id%><%endif%>">Add a Link</a></li>

..then change to:

Code:
<li><a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/add.cgi<%if category_id%>?ID=<%category_id%><%endif%>">Submit Listing</a></li>

Similar thing with the "Newsletter" bit :)

To remove the "Featured VA" bit, just remove that from the header file as well (or wrap <%-- code here --%> around it, which will "comment" it out, so it doesn't get built)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hmmm, I'm not understanding...

The replacement code you show looks the same as the first code. What's the difference?

Also, how does that change the text/wording on the navigation button? I would think there was just some place where you change the wording that appears on the button. No?
Quote Reply
Oh wait... now that I go in there and see, I get what you are saying now. Thank you!!! That did the trick :)
Quote Reply
Np Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk