Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

A Question For Alex

Quote Reply
A Question For Alex
Hey Alex.

Long time, no post. To everyone else, I am well aware of the resource center, thanks. Greatful for everyones contributions.

Alex, are there plans for the future version to contain a more organized category and link return on a search query within the future?

If I was looking up "fish" would the directory be able to produce 10 categories and links per page with spanning pages for both, including "More" categories.

I know this is not a big thing now that they're more important things to work out. I am just basicly asking "is this something that will be done in the future for the Links SQL system". I understand it's alot of math?

ODP has it and it's quite nice.

Just a question, thanks

Gerardo

Quote Reply
Re: A Question For Alex In reply to
Quite possibly, it would just be a minor tweak to search.cgi to do this.

How would you see it working? If you were getting 25 results per page, would you show 25 categories and 25 links? Or 25 categories, 0 links. And links on the following pages?

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

Yes have it show 25 categories and links per page, or to have the ability to specify
what the return would be "count wise" per page, per span. Such as 10 cats and 10 links per page.

One of the things I love about the links product is those spannning pages, but it doesn't
happen with the cats. I can only imagine more customers wanting your already out-standing product
even more when they visit these sites seeing the returns neat and orderly, rather than having 60 categories
coming at them on the first page, with links? It kind of makes the first page heavy.

At any rate, the product should be able to allow for the spanning of not only the links pages but the categories as well.

If a return produced 100 categories and 100 links, then it should be 4 pages of 25 cats and links per page or whatever the owner decides they want the return of cats and link per page to be.

If I don't make any sence, feel free to correct me.

Quote Reply
Alex, was it something I said?

Quote Reply
No! Not at all. You made sense and I didn't see a question. =)

I will look at integrating this into the next version, as I agree it does make perfect sense.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Great! Links-SQL will really kick butt now! :-) You're right, I didn't leave a question. Thanks for answering.

Gerardo