Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

AJAX file upload

Quote Reply
AJAX file upload
Hi,

does anybody have experience with ajax (multiple) file upload and GLinks?
Is it doable?

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: [Payooo] AJAX file upload In reply to
Hi,

I can't say I've ever done it, but I like the idea :) Maybe I will give it a go and release as a plugin (I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible). The hardest bit would be how to do the upload (cos the existing file upload system relies on the link actually being created first, before it can submit the file/image)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] AJAX file upload In reply to
Perhaps you could try something like following (it's a AJAX web interface of MS Exhcnage Alternative) which works on FF -- Drag N Drop.
http://groupwaresolution.net/...dragdrop-attachment/

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] AJAX file upload In reply to
Hi,

I was thinking something more like this:

http://valums.com/...le-uploader/demo.htm

Gonna try and have a play with it today :)

The only problem I can see, is where those file actually go. Obviously I'm gonna be making it into a plugin, so I nee to decide how to structure these file uploads ..

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I read (multiple) in original so posted the video. Downside to that is yes it works on FF only. IE et al it's conventional one by one upload so your link would also be fine. Actually i am dumping GLinks and migrating to PMD so not really sure as to where those uploads should be suggested to go. Perhaps uploads/linkid could be one place and if every link is expected to contain frequent upload of data then upload/linkid/yyyy-mm-dd could be other place. Presuming there's no upload directory already existing.

Thanks
HyTC
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] AJAX file upload In reply to
Hi,

Yeah, the way I'm approaching it is to assign a "temp" ID to the user when they goto add.cgi / modify.cgi ... then this folder gets used when uploading files.

Still having a few issues getting the script to play ball (its uploading ok on a test page, but the status always returns back as "failed" for some reason :()

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

This is taking longer than I expected :( Hopefully be able to finish it this week at some point, but got other bits I need to get on with for now.

So far I have it so that the files are uploaded to the server via AJAX, and then assigned to field names.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

Ok, I've made some good progress on this now. The "add" feature all works fine (please note, this is ONLY for the user side - not admin)

Also need to try and make it work with Thumb_Images (if installed) ... cos at the moment, it doesn't actually do the thumbnailing etc.

I think the modify bit is gonna be quite hard too (as it needs to work in 2 ways - 1 with "auto validate changes", and another with "validate changes" )

Anyway, will keep plodding on with it. I hope there's gonna be a demand for this now, as its been a real sod to do lol

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
What a nice idea to make a plugin Wink
Price?

Another example:
http://www.uploadify.com/demo/
Quote Reply
Hi,

I'm hoping $40-$50 .. all really depends on the demand. I've spent a good 10-15 hours so far, and its almost there - I'm hoping to make the finishing touches to it over the weekend/early next week. If anyones interested, I will also need some beta-testers (on a seewrate dev site, just to work out any bugs etc)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I would like to apply for beta tester Wink
Also you can consider one license sold.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Glad to hear :) I'm gonna do a bit more on it today, and then may have a "rough" version of it by the end of the day (no documentation or anything)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

Man, this is taking longer than I was expecting :(

I think I now have the add/modify features done

Still to do:

1) Make it work with Thumb_Images (and GD)
2) Add a "delete" feature, so they can remove the image they uploaded (if they decide they dont want it any more)

Other than that, its coming along very well <G>

Then the fun and games of compiling it into a proper plugin (its currently in a plugin file, but there is no "installer" setup yet)

I doubt I will get a chance to look at this tomorrow, as I'm off paintballing with some friends for my mates birthday Angelic

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Is there any way this could be for admin too??
It would be an awesome add with the thumbs plugin.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gorospe] AJAX file upload In reply to
Hi,

Maybe, I will try it (once I've got the basics all going).

From when I've tried working on the admin function before, its a bit of a sod, as its not really template based - most of its done via a <%form%> variable, which is all done in the core codes .

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

I havn't forgotten this plugin... just been bogged down with other jobs. May have some time today to get back on track with it - if not, tomorrow or the weekend :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok, well I've now got the plugin working with Thumb_Images/Thumb_Images_GD

The only remaining thing now (which is turning out to be a real sod to do :() ... so to have a "delete" link next to the uploaded files.

It already has a link for a file which is BEING uploaded (i.e you decide you don't wanna upload it any more) ... but once the file is uploaded, there is no way to actually remove it.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Eugh, this is pissing me off a bit :(

The code all works fine, BUT there is no real way to remove an image once its been uploaded via AJAX.

I'm wondering if the best way to do it maybe, would be to have a "delete" function next to the section which shows the file list. This seems the only way I can think of doing it :( (far from ideal, but it may have to do). I can't believe the author of the AJAX upload script didn't think to add in a "delete" feature!

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

Still not forgotten about this ;)

Its sods law - as soon as I make a start on it again, more stuff comes in, which takes up all the time :(

I'm finally caught up with it all now - but I gotta go do some stuff in town now (getting ready for a friends leaving party tonight, so pushed for time).

Depending on how hung-over I am tomorrow, I may have a go at doing some more on it tomorrow :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok, made some good progress on this now :)

Tomorrow I'm gonna try and get it packaged up, and then test it on a fresh copy of GLinks.

Once I'm happy with that, I'll contact you Payoo, and see if you wanna do a bit of beta-testing me for <G>

I ended up totally re-doing it, as the other 2 AJAX upload systems I tried were rubbish when it came to actually removing files (people are bound to wanna remove images they accidently uploaded, so this was a must-have feature for me Wink)

Should hopefully have an update tomorrow Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've just got the documentation to write up - and then this plugin should be ready for beta-testing. Please Email me Payoo, and I'll get you setup with a copy you can test with :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk