Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

2 links on 2 servers with the same data?

Quote Reply
2 links on 2 servers with the same data?
Is it possible to have 2 links sql copies on 2 different servers as follows:

server A has a links copy and will host the main database that users submit their links to and gets updated/validated daily by the admin as new links come in.

server B also has a links copy but will get the actual data transferred to it from server A - either at the end of the day or the end of the week. The server B will just get the same data that server A has. The process of data transfer from server A to server B is either manual or automated.

1) If the data needs to be transferred manually by the admin, what would be the easiest way to transfer links database?
2) If it can be automated, what is the process?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] 2 links on 2 servers with the same data? In reply to
Hi,

Well, there are quite a few things to consider:

1) Do you have uploaded images? (if so, this causes head-aches, cos the File_Url and File_Directory need to be worked with where your files are located)
2) Do you have SSH?
3) Is it going to simply be a copy of the site? (i.e in case one server goes offline, this is like a redundant backup)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] 2 links on 2 servers with the same data? In reply to
I used a system similar to this a couple of years ago with 4 websites running off the 1 database ... as follows:

'Main site'
Website displaying links & also allowing additions/modifications etc.
Database which has to be accessible to the other server.

'Secondary site'
Website displaying links but not allowing additions/modifications etc. (risk of corrupting database)
Access to database on main site server.
If additions/modifications/registration etc. required- hyperlinks back to main site.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] 2 links on 2 servers with the same data? In reply to
Yup, that would work fine - assuming you don't have "Uploded Files" - as that can cause problems (cos of the file paths etc :))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Alba,

That is the kind of arrangement I want. Could you please explain (the procedure) what is involved in transferring the data from one server to another and how you set this up?

Appreciate it.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] 2 links on 2 servers with the same data? In reply to
Andy,

Yes, I do have SSH and Yes, it is just going to be a copy of the site - same database. Can you explain the steps to get data from one server to another on a regular basis?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Hi,

I'm afraid it would really need to be a custom job, as its quite a bit of work (especially if you want it updating on a cronjob or something)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Providing you can access the mySQL server from both website servers, you don't need to duplicate the database. As Andy says, it would not work if you're files or images uploaded via the add page.

Please confirm and I'll try and explain.

If you cannot access the mySQL server then you'll need to go down the road of Andy's post.

Last edited by:

Alba: Aug 24, 2008, 2:01 AM
Quote Reply
Alba,

Please explain the procedure - thanks.
Quote Reply
Hi. Sorry for the delay, I've been away for a couple of days. This is what I did.

1. Checked that I was able to access the database from different servers.

2. Installed GLinks v.1 on server 1. Setup the paths and database as normal.
3. Installed GLinks v.2 on server 2. Setup the paths as normal but setup the database details as server 1.
4. Made sure that the fields were written identically for both websites/servers.
5. Wrote the templates to suit the websites.
6. To use add/modify/register/bookmarks etc. directed the hyperlinks in server 2 templates back to server 1.

7. Used server 1. to administer the database- Didn't use server 2.

8. I was now able to build both websites and also do searches from both websites.
Quote Reply
Alba,

Thanks very much - now I have to ask you with regards to
Quote:
1. Checked that I was able to access the database from different servers.
Were both servers hosted with the same hosting provider and did they set it up so you can access the same database from both servers?

Also, I am not sure what your reason was to have 2 servers - I am thinking of doing this to reduce the load on the main server and so pages are loaded fast. That said, if both servers are accessing the same MySQL database, then I guess it wouldn't make much difference in speed.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Yes, the 2 servers were both with the same provider and they set it up so I could access the database from any server I 'owned'.

The reason I was using 2 different servers was actually a historical one and intentional at all.