Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

250,000 Links - Search Speed ?

Quote Reply
250,000 Links - Search Speed ?
I was wondering if anyone can help me working on increasing the speed of the search function. What is a directory has about 250,000+ links and it is using internal indexing, would it be possible to get the search results in less than 2 to 3 seconds?

Thanks for the help.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] 250,000 Links - Search Speed ? In reply to
~ anyone ~

Vishal
Quote Reply
Vishal,
It is only my opinion however the site is acceptable to me. I put a search in for 'mail' and the results, about 1066 was returned to me in about 6 seconds. That is a fully loaded window with a 56k modem.

My only suggestion is, and there appears to be some resistance to throughout these forums for reasons unknown, to rescript the perl stuff into php language. Php was designed for a mysql database - on purpose.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] 250,000 Links - Search Speed ? In reply to
Hello Gypsypup,

In our directory right now we only have about 30,000 resources (counting what is not validated) and my concern is, what if the number of resources increase over 250,000 would it also increase the search time? Also, I am not much of a programmer, so do not know why, but I have also seen (not just at the board) that more and more people are wanting PHP stuff over Perl/CGI.

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
No expert, but the site loaded pretty fast for me, 1mbit adsl.
Installing the script with mod_perl might speed up thing, but I'm no
expert.
Quote Reply
Re: [martian] 250,000 Links - Search Speed ? In reply to
Yes I have noticed that compared to many of our competitor, the load time on our Links SQL install is much better, but still it takes about 4 to 7 seconds for a database of 30,000 listings.

I am also thinking of removing all but 1 ad from the search results page and also removing unnecessary text from link.html for the search results page. I hope that will also help in the load time.

Vishal
Quote Reply
It think it would be a good idea, I don't think your are getting to much
clicks on the left banners anyway. For me it looks like it's the banners that
slow down the search time, not the script. I don't know if it's
possible to test it without doing it live, but if it's it might be
worth testing it to see if's the banners that's causing it.

--
Best regards,
Martin Eriksen
Quote Reply
One more thing, I'm using using firefox that don't render a table before it's completely loaded. And to me it looks like your top banner and google loads find, but the tribalfusion.com banners is causing your pages to load slow.

--
Best regards,
Martin Eriksen
Quote Reply
Hopefully in near future there will be only 1 banner (or none) on the website and it will on our server, and it should help the load time a lot.

Vishal

Vishal