Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

.htaccess doesn't work

Quote Reply
.htaccess doesn't work
I installed GLInks on GoDaddy's Apache shared server. When I go to Admin page I am prompted to password protect admin directory. After I setup the user and password the changes are written to .htaccess and .htpasswd files but the directory is still not password protected since I can access it without using any usernames and passwords. I called GoDaddy and they said that .htaccess should work just fine.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Quote Reply
Re: [Z] .htaccess doesn't work In reply to
I haven't used GoDaddy's hosting service, but I have heard similar problem from other GoDaddy user where the person had issues with .htaccess files.

I have been using GLinks for ages now and not a single time I had any problems. If this is mainly a test install, then I would recommend to just delete the .htaccess file in the admin sub folder and try setting up admin access again.

Hope this helps.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] .htaccess doesn't work In reply to
Have you tried exiting all browsers and then trying to access it again?
Quote Reply
More on GoDaddy

http://gallery.menalto.com/node/37592

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] .htaccess doesn't work In reply to
It is quite an interesting problem. If I put htaccess file in the root directory I am prompted for password to access my home page. If I put the file in admin directory I am prompted for password when I try to access the directory, however I am not prompted for password when I try to access admin.cgi that is inside that directory.
Quote Reply
It won't prompt you for your password after you've entered the correct password for the admin directory, since it will just use the previously entered username/password. If you close your browser and then go directly to admin.cgi, do you get prompted for a password?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] .htaccess doesn't work In reply to
No. But the interesting thing is that if I move htaccess and htpasswd to any other folder then cgi folder, then it works fine. Well ... it looks like I am close to the solution here, or at least close to finding the problem.

Last edited by:

Z: Nov 15, 2005, 6:44 PM
Quote Reply
If that be so, then in all probability, godaddy has set

AllowOverride None

in httpd.conf (presuming you are on linux hosting) for cgi-bin directory so you would need to talk to them for getting that enabled for you (ie if they provide such support)

Thanks
HyTC
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] .htaccess doesn't work In reply to
Ok! I solved the problem by purchasing Virtual Dedicated Hosting from GD. It costs me the same money I was paying for my 4 domains using shared hosting. Anyway now I have much more control, and up to 30 domains for the same price. And the most important admin panel is password protected now. The problem with GD shared hosting was that I did not have permission to use htaccess inside cgi-bin directory, and I did not have rights to change any permissions. Now I have all the rights, up to 30 domains, more space, bandwidth, control and for the same price.
Well this problem paid off big time.

Thank you all for help. Sly

Last edited by:

Z: Nov 16, 2005, 9:04 PM