Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

writing to Forum database from Links SQL

Quote Reply
writing to Forum database from Links SQL
When the user logs in to Links SQL on one server, I want to write on my Forum database on another server, so that the user is logged on there too. I want to pass the same session ID. I cannot use cookies.

How do I write to my forum database during link sql log in?
Quote Reply
Re: [tora] writing to Forum database from Links SQL In reply to
I'd love to hear this as well. I am using XMBForum and folks are having to have to log in into Links SQL and XMBForum seperately.
Quote Reply
Re: [tora] writing to Forum database from Links SQL In reply to
The only way would be through Community once remote logons are allowed. Cookies are server specific, and trying to get around that, defeats what some of the best computer security minds have spent years working on.

If the sites were on the same physical server, you can do very, very naughty things, like having a perl script write to another database (I did that with my unified logon with Links SQL 1.x), but to get that to happen on different physical servers, you'd have to set up all sorts of potential security problems, and unless you had root access to both servers, you wouldn't even want to attempt it.

You could try to have a script on one machine, write to a script on another machine, using SSL and passwords, but that too is tricky, and security holes the size of crater lake start to open up.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.