Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

uncap folder names and in url

Quote Reply
uncap folder names and in url
i really dun like capping the folder names, like the New, Cool, Pop, and all Cat folders n capped, but i want to display those names uncapped other then their folder name or in the url!!! Anyway out guys?
Quote Reply
Re: [xpert] uncap folder names and in url In reply to
Hi

I think that will require a hard code change and hacking several of the pm files..

(someone correct me if i am wrong)
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] uncap folder names and in url In reply to
I knew there is an easy way to do it, but that isn't the way i preferred. I can just add antoher column category_cap, then use this as the Capped Cat name. So i can name the real Category uncapped! And also i think mod_rewrite would also solve this problem also right? but anyway i'm not familiar with that, maybe someone can help me!
Quote Reply
Please can you have another go at explaining what it is you want to do. I think I may be able to help but I can't understand what it is you want yet.

If you want the new directory to be 'new' rather than 'New', you can change this in the settings in admin.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] uncap folder names and in url In reply to
Thx afinir, now i realize that i change change the New to new, but how about the Categories? What i'm trying to achieve is this:

http://localhost/links/Cars

to

http://localhost/links/cars

But however the category name must stay capped in all otehr occasions!
Quote Reply
I started writing my directory a long time before I discovered Links so I already had categories which had names which were not related to the names of the directories which they were listed in. As I had good search engine rankings already I decided to keep these so I wrote a plugin to allow this. However, it was my first attempt at a plugin so it is definitely not well written. I'm happy to let you use it but as I wrote it just for use on my site it might need a lot of modification to work on your site and I can't guarantee that it will still work after upgrades. Someone else might have a suggestion for an easier way to do what you want?

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Sure afinlr, I'll be more then happy to try ur plugin! I understand it mite not work for my site, but i'll liek a try!
Quote Reply
I've pm'd the file to you.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Thank you!