Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

the fastest and qonvinient way edit files in plugin's tar

Quote Reply
the fastest and qonvinient way edit files in plugin's tar
Hi

Please help me find fastest way edit plugin
Now I'm using Links Admin's Plugin Manager
but I'd prefer use my favorite file manager FAR by working directly in TAR archive
but when I save edited file to TAR, archive become corrupted

I use standart tar archiver

Please help me find - where is my mistake

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: [twssser] the fastest and qonvinient way edit files in plugin's tar In reply to
I would suggest just using the built in editor. Then, once the basic installation part of the plugin is done, then install it, and edit the PM file (admin/Plugins/) via your favorite FTP editor, and then just save it after changes, and check your changes.

Thanks how I do it Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] the fastest and qonvinient way edit files in plugin's tar In reply to
Thanks
I'm currently using this way (using built in Plugin Editor)
plus one more thing - I work on local server without FTP client - just editing files...

What I'm asking about - is how to work with this tars without built in editors
Quote Reply
Re: [twssser] the fastest and qonvinient way edit files in plugin's tar In reply to
In Reply To:
Thanks
I'm currently using this way (using built in Plugin Editor)
plus one more thing - I work on local server without FTP client - just editing files...

What I'm asking about - is how to work with this tars without built in editors

Try this one working fine with tars ot winboze, you can edit file and the it puts the edited file back to archive Wink

link: UltimateZIP

zaaron

---------
GetLokal Reviews
Quote Reply
>> What I'm asking about - is how to work with this tars without built in editors

You really can't.

The built in editor does two things,

1) it handles the Tape Archive format, managing the files in the .tar

2) it handles the Unix vs PC vs Mac formatting of the line endings

If you edit on a PC, then try to insert into a .tar without formatting for Unix, you will end up with <CR><LF> endings, which Unix does not like.

The suggestion here, was that there is no easy way. You need to develop your own rhythm, and work with that.

I use Edit Plus on the PC to edit files. I install the tar file, and then edit the plugin_name.pm file, any .cgi files, or templates, by using FTP + Edit Plus, then copying the new version over the old version in the plugin editor and saving to the tar. You would use the Fileman editor to do that. Once you make changes, you would save local copies of the changed files to your PC, then uninstall the plugin. You would go to the plugin editor and edit each of the changed files, and cut/paste in the new file you edited (select-all, paste). Then, reinstall the plugin, and start the process over.

There is no *easy* way.

There is a lot of stuff going on in all that, and you need to take it all into account.

Alex may be able to build editing .tar files into a future release of Fileman, but the plugin-editor does a *lot* more than just edit tar files. It does syntax checking, format checking, and a bunch of other stuff that makes editing files (or cutting/pasting in the new version) via that editor a necessity for development. This is something a generic version of Fileman could not do, since that depends on having Links SQL and the plugin engine installed.

;

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.