Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

search through pdf and doc

Quote Reply
search through pdf and doc
Hi,

I would like to use links in a special way as a directory of documents more than a directory of links.

I know that it is possible to upload some files and have attached to the links.

Is it possible to search not only on the description and title of the links but also on the content of a pdf, doc or text file?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Vercyb
Quote Reply
Re: [vercyb] search through pdf and doc In reply to
Not with Links as far as I know. Definitely not with a standard install - possibly with a plug-in, not that I have seen one.

You would be better off using something like Fluid Dynamics Search Engine. I have installed it on a few sites and with some extra configuration it can be set up to do full-text search on PDFs (and Word documents too). It's not free but it is excellent value.

You can set the search engine up to re-index the site via a cron job every so often. If you wanted to incorporate this with a Links install it would work best if your site was using detailed pages.
Quote Reply
Re: [vercyb] search through pdf and doc In reply to
Hi,

I am using http://sourceforge.net/projects/satellite2 to add some extra information to my database. I created a variable which does an extra search for every link in a couple of pdf files. This is not exactly what you are looking for but I think a starting point might be thinking about using a tool like that to add the text information of your documents into an extra field in the links database which can be searched. Probably there is also a way to use the spieder plugin but I am not familiar with this plugin.

Regards

n || i || k || o