Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

myLinks Plug-in?

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: myLinks Plug-in? In reply to
I've been super busy working on a (BIG) pre-paid plugin. I am going to work MyLinksNG to a stable release version as soon as I possibly can.

I might hold back on some of the more advanced ideas I was working on, just clean up the code and templates and get it released.

So not too long...

AlexJ

Quote Reply
alexj,
are you still working on this mode or did you give up?
please let me know?
thanks

Quote Reply
Uh...like he has plainly stated more than once...he IS working on it, but there are OTHER priority projects that he is working on FIRST. Please be more patient and read posts carefully. Thank you.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
i apologize... i did not see his last post... i did not see the second page until now

Quote Reply
I just thought of another feature that would be nice for a 'MyLists' mod. It would be great if people could check a box that allows their list to be shared publicly.

NetFlix.com has something similar so that you can look at "Martin's Favorite Movies" and see all the movies that Martin liked. It would be pretty convenient for visitors to browse through different people's MyLists to see what their favorite sites were. Eventually you would find someone whose taste you trusted and you could use their MyList in addition to your own.

Bryan

Quote Reply
This feature would be best designed within the Users table...basically adding a ENUM (binary) field called ShowMyLinks (Yes/No). Then users can update their "profile" rather than going into another web form to update the "MyLinks" table, which should be an intersection table between the Links and Users table (meaning minimal that it should contain a concatment key of foreign keys from the Links and Users table, like the following example:

UserID (Primary - Not Unique)
LinkID (Index - Not Unique)
).

Then you could write a plug-in for "User" information that will show "My Links" for each user based on the ShowMyLinks column in the Users table. If YES, then query the MyLinks table to show all the Users links. If NO, then don't query the MyLinks table and print an error message...

Fairly easy to add-on...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
:clap clap clap:

it looks like mylinks is coming along nicely for Links SQL (whatever version it is). After all these mods are completed, maybe I'll unzip my copy of Links SQL and start using it :).

Just wondering.. did you implement the feature which spans the links into more than one page?

that was one of the first features that was requested for the original mylinks.

paulwilson.. jerrysu.com isn't mine..

Jerry Su
http://www.jsu07.com
Quote Reply
Oh - is it nothing to do with you at all?
You may want it.......

"This domain name has been obtained from a former member of Namezero.com, Inc., and is now available for purchase.
"

Paul
Installations:http://wiredon.net/gt/
Support: http://wiredon.net/forum/

Quote Reply
Any development on this?

Quote Reply
Anything new on this? Really need it baddddddddddddd :))

Quote Reply
Ok,

Here is what I'm going to do. Due to the huge demand for this plugin, I am going take a break on a few other projects and finish this beast up. I really need to check my notes and reorient myself with the project before I can give an exact ETA, but I cannot imagine it being more than a week or so away from a beta release.

* This would be a good time for the last round of feature requests * :)

AlexJ

Quote Reply
YOU ARE WONDERFUL!!!! THANK YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Question: Will there be a login/password box for this ala Yahoo! or will it be just cookie based ala MYLINKS 2.0 ?

Quote Reply
This will be login and password based. Hope that was the answer you were looking for! :)

AlexJ

Quote Reply
Yes!! That is perfect....(as it will be great to get users e-mail addresses to send non-spam search engine updates/news)

Also, will you be able to add a specific category to the MYLINKS system (i.e like Yahoo's Add this Category to My Yahoo! thing) as well as the actual link?

:)

Quote Reply
Also - is there any chance of incorporating some sort of newsfeed selection? So the people can choose if they want to read BBC News, CNN etc...?

Perhaps using the script at http://www.newsclipper.com but saving the selection in MYLINKS SQL ?

Quote Reply
Good suggestion, but I believe that is out of the SCOPE of Alex's project...I would keep it simple initially, then expand it to store other pieces of info.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Erm, any joy with this? I am waiting with my dollars-in-hand to buy the script -- the last piece in the puzzle is this plugin! (as the site I am developing requires this function)

Pretty please with sugar on top - release it! ;)

> >