Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

making Links email generator RFC 5322 compliant

Quote Reply
making Links email generator RFC 5322 compliant
about a month and a half ago the new signup validation emails for new signups that Links was generating were not be received by their recipients who signed up with yahoo or hotmail email addresses. i researched this and found is article on computerworld april 9 2014:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247512/Yahoo_email_anti_spoofing_policy_breaks_mailing_lists
Code:
In an attempt to block email spoofing attacks on yahoo.com addresses,
Yahoo began imposing a stricter email validation policy that unfortunately
breaks the usual workflow on legitimate mailing lists.
The problem is a new DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication,
Reporting and Conformance) "reject" policy advertised by Yahoo to third-party email servers

they are trying to limit spam, but it is breaking email generating scripts as well. the email is bounced and the header reads:
Code:
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

example@hotmail.com
SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host mx2.hotmail.com [65.55.33.135]: 550 5.7.0 (COL004-MC6F27) Message could not be delivered.
Please ensure the message is RFC 5322 compliant.
I found a website post which says to make your emails RFC 5322 compliant, you have to modify your email generating script (Links) where it formats emails it sends out to have this change:

change the email header from...

Code:

To...

That way, the emails that Links generates will be accepted by users who are using hotmail and yahoo email addresses. (gmail addresses work fine)

Where in Links would I make this mod? thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [yo Huge] making Links email generator RFC 5322 compliant In reply to
Hi,

You would just need to find the *.eml templates (or look in Build > Email Templates), and tweak the "To" header. However, unless you have changed those before - they should already be sending out in Foo <x@x.com> format (the only exception, should be if no name is provided - then it just defaults to x@x.com)

Hope that helps

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] making Links email generator RFC 5322 compliant In reply to
thanks, that did the trick. tested it. i added the extra angle brackets to the 'FROM' field on all .eml templates and the emails generated by Links are now compliant and are being received by people who signing up to Links using email clients such as yahoo, hotmail, aol and gmail.

Code: