Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
how to debug global
Hi,

It seems it's hard to debug globals since Linksql only returns "Unable to compile" if something goes wrong, even you turn on debug. Also nothing you can find in server error log.

How do you debug globals?

Thanks.

Long
Quote Reply
Re: [long327] how to debug global In reply to
I think you should find something in your error log if you turn debugging to 1.
Quote Reply
I find that if you put it in a seperate file, and then run a Perl check (via SSH), it will give you the problem.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] how to debug global In reply to
Thanks for reply.

Server error log won't give much info even debug is on. I will try Andy's method which I guess can only check grammar errors.

Long
Quote Reply
Post it here otherwise... and we can take a look. An extra pair of eyes is always helpful (at least thats what I've always found :)).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Yes, globals are hard to use, because of the way they are slipped into the program.

If you have a complicated global, that will need debugging, you are better off putting it into a .pm file and calling it separately as a function. You can use any of the .pm files in the Plugins area as a guide. Once it's a module, normal rules of debugging and error reporting apply.

Too much can go wrong in the globals file, and it is hard to debug.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] how to debug global In reply to
thanks Andy and Puddog

I raised this question not for a specific globle, so I don't have one to post here. If I do I will certainly ask for your help.

Long

Last edited by:

long327: Apr 19, 2004, 10:18 AM