Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

allowing users to change password

Quote Reply
allowing users to change password
I am modifying my linksql 2.1.2 installation to allow users to change their profile such as password and other customized fields in the Users table. I have added a subroutine to the longin.pm file and when it is called, it displays a modify form with the user's current info populated in the form. I have got it working except for the password filed. When I have modified the password (from '1234' to '123456') and clicked submit, I got this error:
Code:

GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (3472): Executing query: SELECT Username FROM lsUsers
WHERE Password = 123456 AND Username = 'user1'
from Links::Authenticate::auth_valid_user at
e:/www/cgi-bin/linksql/admin/Links/Authenticate.pm line 70

It seems that the program check my existing username and password before I am trying to modify the password in the table. For example, if my old password is '1234', I changed the password to '123456' in the modify form, it will use the new password '123456' to query the user table to see if the username and password match or not.

I even added a function to the Authenticate.pm file and called that from login.pm before I update the password in the table. I didn't work either.

Please advise me how to get around the authentication process and have password changed.

thank you.

Last edited by:

long327: Dec 3, 2004, 5:14 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [long327] allowing users to change password In reply to
Hi. I'm not sure if this is what you are trying to achive, but the following plugin will let your user's modify their profile/password pretty easily Smile

http://ultranerds.com/cgi-bin/details/87.html

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] allowing users to change password In reply to
Hi Long327,

Don't listen to Andy, he is being very modest & not telling you all about his plugin.

This plugin of his not only allows users to update their password but has very many more interesting features and for the price he is charging, it is tooo good to be true.

I have tested this plugin to great details and will highly recommend it to anyone.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by:

NeedScripts.Com: Dec 4, 2004, 9:06 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] allowing users to change password In reply to
Yes, I believe Andy's plugin is very good and it costs only a few bucks. The problem is that my Linksql (2.1) has been heavily modified and I don't know if it can be plugged in.
Quote Reply
Re: [long327] allowing users to change password In reply to
Quote:
The problem is that my Linksql (2.1) has been heavily modified and I don't know if it can be plugged in.

It should work fine. A new script (profile.cgi) is setup, which is then used to modify their details.

Version 2.1.x should work find (it definatly works on 2.1.2, as thats what it was developed on Smile).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!