Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Editor Monitor - New Version 1.1.0

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Editor Monitor - New Version 1.1.0
Editor Monitor - New Version - 1.1.0

Fixes

Removed inbuilt font for the category read out on editor profile pages, allowing you to set what ever font you like for this. <font><tag></font>
Editor's categories on their profile pages showing a spill over of another editor's categories.
Updated documentation to include information on uninstalling EM.
Fixed EditorNotes tag which was producing an error.
Updated documentation to explain how to find and use plug-in options.
Removed about/docs from plugin module into a seperate html file

New Features

Added the Editor Profile Update interface and support system
TopX tag now automatically links the editor's name to their profile page
Added email notification of details when an editor updates their profile
Added option to turn off email notification

Upgrade

Upgrade from 1.0.6 is simple, as there are no changed table columns, only a new table. Just uninstall 1.0.6, select "no" when asked to removed tables. Then install 1.1.0.

Download

The new file is in the private download area.

This version paves the way for editor applications and more. What happened to 1.0.7? There were enough changes in this version to make it a 1.1.0 I think! Enjoy.

Prior discussion related to this plug-in, including many suggestions for features underway can be found at:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=200939#200939

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 19, 2002, 1:29 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Editor Monitor - New Version 1.1.0 In reply to

Editor Monitor Links Version Requirements

Editor monitor requires (at the time of writing):

• Links SQL version 2.1.0 or newer. A beta version of 2.1.0 will cause errors.
  • A static directory setup, or a dynamic directory setup (but you won't be able to use the links to profile pages feature - yet)

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
CORRECTION In reply to

FIX

I found a small formatting issue when there are multiple editors being listed at the bottom of the category page - no spaces between the names.

Example: Editors: BillMary Should be: Editors: Bill Mary

You can correct this by going to line 922 of EditorMonitor.pm and

Replace:

$output .= qq~<a href="$em_rooturl/editors/profiles/$user->{Username}.html">$user->{Username}</a>~;

With:

$output .= qq~<a href="$em_rooturl/editors/profiles/$user->{Username}.html">$user->{Username}</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;~;

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 20, 2002, 8:56 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] CORRECTION In reply to
Hi

I just installed the plug in and it was like a charm.. easy and clean..

The only problem I have seen (might be suppose to be this way).. editor-profile.html will not pass any global meaning I will have to write the full html and change that templete each time I change the header and footer!!

Is that the way it is suppose to work or is it something i did?

Also in the same templete can the categories be clickable so users can go to them?

And the same for the editors owne site? and can the Editor specify the site title as well as the URL and then make it clikcable?
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory

Last edited by:

katabd: Jun 21, 2002, 7:57 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] CORRECTION In reply to
Hi Katabd,

Quote:

I just installed the plug in and it was like a charm.. easy and clean..

Great!

Quote:

The only problem I have seen (might be suppose to be this way).. editor-profile.html will not pass any global meaning I will have to write the full html and change that templete each time I change the header and footer!!

The EM is modled after my own site and that of DMOZ, where Editor Profile pages have their own clean , headerless/footerless look. I will look into making the profile page able to accept the GT tags as well as the link formatting for the next version. Thanks for the suggestions!

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 21, 2002, 8:04 PM
Quote Reply
This was a very easy upgrade Ian.

And as per functionailty, this is a very powerful plugin. This plugin will make an owner money, increase productivity and increase content depth and quality in one fell swoop!

Nice Job!
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] CORRECTION In reply to
Thanks Brian!!!

Links Plugins
Quote Reply

UPDATE

Added hyperlinking to the categories listed on an editor's profile page.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Editor Monitor Users:

I thought I might just post a note on adding tags for your editors eyes only.

When an editor logs into the editing area (editor browser), the first screen that Links displays to the editor is from the browser_info.html. This is in the right hand frame, while the browser tree with the folders is in the left.

The browser_info.html is useful for placing a lot of the tags that editor monitor produces, to keep your editor informed, while keeping the information private to that editor only.

Example:

You can place the amount of rewards a particular editor has, simply by placing the rewards tag into browser_info.html. Editor monitor and Links will automatically know who is logged in, and place the appropriate information into this tag and display it to the editor.

Your Rewards: <%Plugins::EditorMonitor::EditorRewards($Username)%>

Or, say you want to display the last, and 2nd last time the editor logged in to them, just put these tags into browser_info.html, with a little message explaining wiht the information means:

Your last login: <%Plugins::EditorMonitor::EditorLastLogin($Username)%>
Your 2nd last login: <%Plugins::EditorMonitor::EditorSecondLogin($Username)%>

Editor Monitor has many tags like this, and using them is about as simple as the above examples.Smile

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 24, 2002, 7:41 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Global issue In reply to
Hi

When using the <%Plugins::EditorMonitor::EditorLinks($ID)%> tag in the category templete..

If there is no editor it is returing a blank line..

Can that be avoided?

Thanks
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] Global issue In reply to
Hi Katabd,

I am not sure I understand the problem.

You could try placing the tag inside an if statement, and produce two seperate messages on your page depending on whether there are editors or not.

If you look on my site, categories which do not have editor, are displayed the "Become and Editor" message. Categories with editors are dispayed this tag.

I would suggest this basic structure when designing category.html with editors:

<%Links::Utils::load_editors%>
<%if editors%>
.... <%Plugins::EditorMonitor::EditorLinks($ID)%>, plus other formating
<%else%>
.... show your alternate formating for no editors, which may be exactly the same minus the editors tag, and a "become an editor" message.
<%endif%>

Hope that helpsWink

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Global issue In reply to
Thanks

I was dropping the:

<%Links::Utils::load_editors%>

That solved it
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
Editor Sign-Up In reply to

EDITOR SIGN-UP UPDATE

As mentioned earlier, I plan to implement the editor sign-up form and some related features into EM over the next few updates. With the last update, I introduced a new table to store the form information. With the next stage, and maybe the next update, I plan on:

Editor Sign-Up Link on page -> em_signup.cgi, which will check to make sure user is logged in before the sign up form is displayed. If they are not a registered user (or logged in), they will be redirected to your site's log-in page.

The em_signup.cgi will display the form based on a user customizable template, which would allow style and layout changes, and the omission of certain form fields if not wanted for your particular site.

Once the form is submitted the information will be stored in the database, and an email will be sent to the administrator.

This will be all that happens for this planned update, with more of the process being completed in other stages.

Cool

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 25, 2002, 11:10 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Editor Sign-Up In reply to
This is making me think of Scary Movie when the guy says "But wait! There's more!" Cool

This is a very cool plugin. Great job Ian!
Quote Reply
Will this screw up the info already in the tables?
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] Editor Sign-Up In reply to
Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by "screw up". Please explain.

From version 1.1.0, the table for editor sign up was already in place... see earlier post in this thread.Wink

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
I jusy meant there won't be any changes to the table already there. I think. (confused) Never mind. :)
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] Editor Sign-Up In reply to
Hi rayhne,

If you are worried about loosing your existing data for the next upgade, don't.

At this stage it looks like there will be no futher table changes, and if there were, I am sure we could find away around thisWink. I would suggest you do a backup of your tables before doing any plug-in upgrages also. Links 2.1.1 now backs up custom column and table information as I understand it, so this would mean Editor Monitor tables would also be backed up.

If you don't have too much information ( I would also maybe copy the numbers to a peice of paper before upgrade - I do this when I am testing). This most likely will not be necessary, as I planned this new feature from 1.1.0.

I hope this clears up the confusion a little,

Smile

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Editor Sign-Up In reply to

UPDATE EDITOR SIGN UP

The editor sign-up form is well into development. At the moment, both the email you receive AND the email your applicant receives upon succussful submission of the application form are TEMPLATE BASED! This means you can fully customize your messages. I have included a full set of tags to put into these customized emails, as well as demo templates to boot!

Example:

Quote:

---------------------------------------------------
Editor Application Received

Thank you for your interest in Mysite.com.

Your application has been received and will be reviewed.

Please allow up to 3 weeks for consideration and response. If you have not been contacted after this time, you may re-submit your application. You might be contacted at any time for clarification of your details.

If you wish to withdraw your application or change your application details, please do not submit another form. Contact a senior editor at se@muysite.com.

Editor Auto Response
Categories.ca

Details Received:

Username : <%Username%>
Email : <%Email%>
RealName : <%RealName%>
Address : <%Address %>
Languages : <%Languages%>
Preference_A : <%Preference_A%>
Preference_B : <%Preference_B%>
Reference : <%Reference%>
App_Text_A : <%App_Text_A %>
App_Text_B : <%App_Text_B %>
Application_Status : <%Application_Status%>
Application_Date : <%Application_Date %>

The sign up form is ONLY accessible by registered users of your directory, and if an unregistered user attempts access, they will be immeditaly re-directed to the user login page Wink

As I mentioned eariler, this is only Stage 1 development, and other than storing this information in a pending table (which you can view through your included table editor), the rest is then up to you. But, since this is pretty useful already, I will be releasing a the next update with the work so far included.

IF YOU WISH TO TEST THIS ON MY SITE (WHERE I ALREADY HAVE IT UP AND WORKING): please create an account with your same Gossamer Forum alias, then login and click on the "become and editor" link after login. This will give you a better idea of the whole process, as it stands. You will notice there is no template for the successful submission as yet, just a basic message. PLEASE, IF YOU DO SUBMIT AN EDITOR APPLICATION DURING YOUR TESTING, BE SURE TO SAY THAT ITS A TEST ON THE APPLICATION FORM. Otherwise it just takes me more time to sift through bogus applications. Notice, if you try to access the editor sign up page without being logged in, you are directed to the log-in page!

PRICE CHANGE

The price of Editor Monitor will be going up once the sign-up feature is implemented. I expect by $10-$15. Existing owners will not be affected by this raise of course. If you are thinking of buying this plug-in, you will get in cheaper by buying before these changes take place.

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 25, 2002, 6:28 PM
Quote Reply

UPDATE

I have added an admin setting, where you set the signup form success page URL. Example, you could point it at your home page, or your own custom designed success, the choice is all yours. The example on my own website, directs you to the site home page. (at the same time the applicant has an email on the way to their inbox!)

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Hi

Just did a testing and it looks good..

BTW: If the user is not signed on he/she can still submit the form, and if the form entries are blank they can also submit the form..
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] Editor Sign-Up In reply to
Hi Katabd,

>>If the user is not signed on he/she can still submit the form

If you selected the "Become and Editor" from any category, this is infact another form (not part of the test). I just tried it and it seems to work. Just confirm where you selected the "Become and Editor" so that I can check.

EDIT: I have just started an "Build All", so in about two hours or so, the categories will also point to this new form.

>>and if the form entries are blank they can also submit the form..

This one I am aware of.... this will be implemented in the next stage, not this one unfortunatley Wink.

Thanks for the test!

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 25, 2002, 9:12 PM
Quote Reply
Hi

Yes it was Become an Editor link from your category..

I will try again later then

Thanks
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] Editor Sign-Up In reply to
Hi Katabd,

I decided I would add some BASIC form checking. I don't want to make it overly restrictive, as different people will have different needs. You can always add your own javascript form checking into your template if you wish to add more. Also, some people may want to drop certain fields from their forms, so I cannot build in any form checking for these fields. Use your own javascript!

For now I will be putting in basic blank field checking and error reports for Real Name, Email and Category Preference 1 as these fileds would appear on anyones application form. (the email will do a simple validity check something@something.something.something[/url] ).

If someone wants to be an editor and can't fill in a form, I would consider not accepting their application! After all, are you going to trust them filling in new category and link forms? Nice little screening test I would say.

Lastly, if its spamming of the form you are worried about, remember, you have to be a REGISTERED user to access this form. Just delete the user, its easy to track who submitted the form, because the applicant cannot change their username when the form is filled outWink

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 25, 2002, 11:32 PM
Quote Reply
Hey Ian, sounds like an awesome plugin, but one question, will this plugin support the PHP frontend of Links SQL?
> >