Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[idea] Plugin or Mod: Article-Aware Link Sorting

Quote Reply
[idea] Plugin or Mod: Article-Aware Link Sorting
This is way beyond my feeble programming skills. Maybe GT would consider it for a future release ...

Background
When links are sorted by Title, indefinite and definite articles are considered part of the title, so for example "A Fantastic Site" gets sorted above "Fantastic Site", and "The Fantastic Site" gets sorted below. Of course, articles in the Title can be removed by careful editing, but not all editors are equally careful and sometimes the article might be necessary to understand the Title.

Idea
Plugin to ignore a set of initial words when sorting by Title -- the set to be admin-defined, eg: "a, an, the, un, une, le, la, les". It could also be used to ignore other initial characters such as numbers, so that "#1 Fantastic Site" would get sorted sensibly.

Opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: [YoYoYoYo] [idea] Plugin or Mod: Article-Aware Link Sorting In reply to
Hmmm. Interesting idea.

I see possibility to include it into a later version of my Xtended Link Display plugin (a.k.a. Extended Link), which has improved sorting capabilities.
Since I did work on the sorting part, I can develop the feature you would need... Maybe as a subplugin of my Xtended Link Display plugin, since it is a very special request.

I will see. First the plugin should be released, but the release date is not known at this time (future).

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [YoYoYoYo] [idea] Plugin or Mod: Article-Aware Link Sorting In reply to
That is interesting!

I can see how sites get manipulated by using #1, " ", and more as they show up at the start of the sort. If it looked for non letter/number items and ignored them on the sort it would help a lot. I do think that there are uses for numbers or single letters such as "A" at the start of a title though. Some business names start with 1 or A. So I am a little unsure how the plugin could see the difference between a real A and a fake A.

I like the idea!Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] [idea] Plugin or Mod: Article-Aware Link Sorting In reply to
The initial idea was: set to be admin-defined, eg: "a, an, the, un, une, le, la, les".

If a company name starts like 'A company of mine co.', then it will at least sorted to titles starting with 'c'...
IMHO, the admin has the right to decide, why and how to sort links...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] [idea] Plugin or Mod: Article-Aware Link Sorting In reply to
I agree...admin definable is great.

Smile