Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Verifying Recip Link Mod
Hi,

I am looking for a way to spider all of the sites in my database looking for an instance of my recip link. All it needs to do is scan the page looking for a certain string of text/url

Many, many webmasters change their sites months after getting listed and this is the best way for me to determine if things are still normal with their page. Or at least that I am still being linked to.

Maybe there is a way to work this into verify.cgi or even have something standalone that would spit out possible bad links to a text file.

Anyone willing to try this?

thanks,

marc
Quote Reply
Re: [hcom] Verifying Recip Link Mod In reply to
/* Advert */

Recip_Link Plugin => http://new.linkssql.net/...&page=Recip_Link

/* End Advert */

My plugin does what you are asking. It even sets up the cronjob so that it runs weekly automatically, so there is no escaping for web-owners unless they like adding/rtemoving link code once a week Wink

Cheers

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Verifying Recip Link Mod In reply to
Thanks,

It seems that your plugin does way more than I need though. I don't want to require certain things at signup, I just need to be able to spider all of the sites periodically to weed out those that have changed their site since I accepted them.

Maybe your script can still do this without all the other features?

marc
Quote Reply
Features can pretty much all be turned on/off. You can switch off the 'required' stuff, as well as the 'description to lowercase' simply via the admin panel.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I saw this feature listed:

+ Lets you re-index all your existing links, to see if they have reciprocal links to you, and if so, updates their record.

That's probably the only thing I need. Will it simply go through every site in my database and look for my recip on their index page? After it has scanned all of the sites, I don't need it to do anything to the sites that don't have a recip... I would need to check over them first. Some "types" of sites don't need one. A simple list of urls would be all I need.

marc
Quote Reply
Yeah, that will go through the whole database (x number of links checked per page, or if you run check.cgi via SSh/Telnet, then it will all be shown in one list). Basically, it just grabs the URL, and checks to see if they have a link. If they do, it sets the priority link to 1, and if not, it sets it to 0.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Would you be willing to take what you know and make a small custom mod to only do what I need?

I would like to be able to run this script via telnet and have it spider every site in my database. If it is unable to find my link on a site, it will append that particular url to a text file. So, basically, I will have a long list of urls that I can then go and check manually. It sure beats going through 15k mostly good urls to check for it!

Let me know your cost for this.

thanks,

marc
Quote Reply
I'm totally booked up for the next week or so at the moment. If you can wait that long, I would be happy to do this for you.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Sure, if you could just let me know what you think this would cost, I can determine if I should wait.

thanks,

marc